Blackberry Super Dry - Problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I bought a can of VR blackberry juice. It had a fair amount of blackberries in it. Smelled great. I followed the 3 gallon recipe. I added EC-1122 yeast on May 14 with an SG of 1.080. I checked daily and pushed down the cap of blackberries. Then yesterday May 19 I checked the SG and it is apparently .989. This is the lowest I've seen. It is just below the .990 on my hydrometer. It barely floats at all. I spun it fairly well to get bubbles out. Is this a correct reading? I didn't expect it to go that dry. Is it going to taste okay? I was sort of hoping for a slightly sweet blackberry wine. I guess I can back-sweeten it, but I'm not sure what I'd use to do it.

I got all the blackberry bits out with a nylon bag and then I put it into a 3 gallon secondary carboy last night. I added medium toast american oak. I had to top it up since I didn't have enough wine (there were more blackberries than I thought). I used a generic red table wine with a sweet fruity flavor, it's one of my favorite evening sippers so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

How low it will go depends upon many factors most dominant would be how strong a yeast you have and the overall temperature of the must.

You do not have a problem. Just make sure it has finished fermenting and rack, add sulfite, clearing agent and degass.

Later on after you rack off of the sediment you can add sorbate and let the wine age. When it comes time to back sweeten just add inverted sugar to bring back the flavor. Trust me adding a lil sugar will really bump back the flavor.

Always add in small amounts and do a taste test to find you favorite spot, then calculate and sweeten the whole batch.

I frequently sweeten my fruits to a semi dry and a sweet point giving me 2 different wines.

FYI If you weigh your sugar, 4 ounces will raise the specific gravity .010
If you go by volume it will become a bit sweeter/higher than that.
These calculations are per gallon.

Ex: if you need to go from .990 to 1.000, then 5 gallons will need approx. 20 ounces by weight. Invert the sugar in some wine and blend in.
Always remember the sorbate.

I will shoot a little shy of what I want then adjust one more time. Reason is 5 gallon carboys are not exactly 5 gallons etc.

Back