black rubber coated beer 15.5 beer kegs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellarguy

Junior
Reaction score
I have availability to some beer kegs for my secondary fermentation. I am trying to decide between the standard aluminum and the ones that are coated with the black rubber. What are thoughts on this? The rubber coated ones which are standard stainless inside like a regular keg but coated.

I was thinking the coated ones would be good because they would be more insulated and not as likely to have as much temperature variance as long as the room temperature stays within a fair range.

The standard stainless are more susceptible to temperature variation but then again so is glass and I am guessing there are benefits to this.

I plan to transfer to glass carboys for bulk cold stabilization and bulk aging. I have a dehumidifier in the center block cellar that is keeping the temp up. All I will have to do is unplug the dehumidifier since the weather is cooling down and leave them they should cold stabilize within a month or so. I plan to do the normal clarifying as well by adding the standard agents and potassium sorbate to the secondary kegs and stirring real well before transferring to the glass carboys.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
cellarguy

I have one of each and notice no difference between them. I use them for my big batches of muscadine wine.

This is great to know. I plan on getting two of the black rubber coated ones then. They are $10 less each.

Thanks again.

Back