Billionaires Vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Has anyone read the book Billionaires vinegar....it was recommended to me this past weekend and I have had a hard time putting it down. It is a true story about a bottle of wine that was auctioned off at a record $150.000. Believed to belong to Thomas Jefferson.
If you are interested in the history of wine this is a great book, I never knew how much Thomas Jefferson was so much into wine.

Haven't read the book but I did see something on the history channel about Jefferson and his winemaking.

I have read it a couple of years ago. What a great book!

This book is being made into a movie. It is to star brad pitt.

Yes, jefferson is actually considered "america's first vintner" by some. he developed his taste for wine while working as colonial america's Ambassador to france.

What is really funny is that there was NO providence for the jefferson bottles that linked the bottle to jefferson. It only had a small "ThJ" etched on the bottle. Still, it went for a huge sum! AHHHH, to have all that money and no brains!

There was an old cheesy movie made about it - "The Year of the Comet".

I am actually ashamed that I know this, having recently seen this movie. I don't think it had anything to do with Thomas Jefferson's wine though. All the descriptions I can find only mention that it was a bottle from 1811, but if I recall correctly they kept mentioning Napoleon as a potential owner.

I almost didn't bother mentioning it, but I thought I might keep at least one person from watching this stinker. :)

Guys,

I am talking about a movie that will be titled "The billionare's vinegar" starring brad pitt. It is currently in production and will be coming out soon.

Guys,

I am talking about a movie that will be titled "The billionare's vinegar" starring brad pitt. It is currently in production and will be coming out soon.

JohnT - I know - I have seen that - I thought the other movie was about the same bottle - but it wasn't just the same time period...

And deboard you are right - it was about Napoleon - not TJ.

And I like you - just informing folks not to waste time on that movie - it was bad..

I read it and thought it was an excellent book. Likewise read it very fast.

I also really liked the House of Mondavi biography as well.

I also liked the "house of mondavi".

Another great book is the biography of the gallo brothers. I forget the title. Will have to check my library.

Back