Biblical Plague 8: grasshoppers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marctee

Reaction score
We've had a plague of grasshoppers this year, finally passing after 3 weeks. They didn't touch last year's plantings of Regent and Siegerrebe but they munched away on the tender new plantings of Pinot noir Precoce. My fault because I took the grow tubes off too early and exposed the past to the elements, including the grasshoppers. I think there is plenty of growing season left for the plants to recover as we are just trying to establish a healthy root system. Lesson learned.View attachment 23481View attachment 23482View attachment 23483

First pic is chewed vine, second is devoured vine, third is happy regent.ImageUploadedByWine Making1436839390.880840.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6755.jpg
    IMG_6755.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6757.jpg
    IMG_6757.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6795.jpg
    IMG_6795.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I don't know if you can get it, but "Tempo" will eliminate hoppers in 2 days (usually one day). We've had bad cases and if I spray, they're gone the next day!! It's a pretty non toxic spray, rated for inside food plants too.

Grasshoppers or not, you have some beautiful views from your vineyard.

Ducks and Guineas will decimate a grasshopper population but of course, every predator on earth loves a duck. As a kid we had a bermuda hay field solid with grasshoppers. We raised twenty ducks and put them on our nearby pond, they cleaned them right up. They would head to the hay field as a group and graze on grasshoppers. The bobcats, foxes, racoons, hawks, dogs, etc. etc. won in the end.

Yes I read about guinea fowl's ability to give grasshoppers a lickin'. They r definitely on the discussion list for next year. We have no ponds for ducks unfortunately.

Thanks boatboy, it really is spectacular. I'll post a pic looking up the slope too.

Back