Better Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer to this question, but can someone else verify it for me .

Can I use better bottles to bulk age my wines ???

I need to open up some of my glass carboys so I can make more wine
smiley4.gif

BOB

Looks like you'll want to invest in some glass or a barrell for anything longer than a couple of months.
I just plan on bottle aging. I don't want to tie up my carboys.

Better Bottles are not intended for bulk aging because of the nature of the plastic the bottles are made of. If you were to use an infrared or microscopic style magnification of the material, it ends up looking like a screen or mesh. Because of this, there is the opportunity for gas exposure. Think of it like a plastic bottle of Coke compared to a glass bottle of Coke. This is the primary reason why there is a 'freshness date' on the plastic bottle of Coke.

Note that the Better Bottle company states that while their PET carboys have a higher oxygen permeability than glass, they feel that this is not as much of a concern, but bulk aging isn't specifically mentioned. It is therefore very important to regularly check your SO2 levels if aging in a Better Bottle and beware that additional oxygen exposure could occur over time.

All that being said, when I had discussed this with Matteo Meglioli at Winestock 2009, he noted that glass and/or barrels were the preferred storage device for bulk aging/oaking. Have I left wine in a Better Bottle for what could be considered 'bulk age' times - yes. Have I noticed any problems - not at this point. Do I do this consistently - no. I still store in glass whenever possible.

Bob - if something has been aging for a bit, don't be afraid to bottle (especially a white) to clear a carboy.

- Jim

Depends on what you call bulk aging. If for 2-6 months. yeah you should be fine. If you do like me and bulk age 2 years or so, I wouldn't go for it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Jim , I have a plum wine that I started on 8/4/09. I added oak to it on 9/15/09 and racked off the oak on 10/20/09. I backsweetened a little. My problem with bottling right now is I am not sure whether it needs sweetened more or if time will bring it around ( the acid is still a little high). The other is a mulberry that still has oak on it ( and I definitly want it to age some before I bottle it).

BOB

Bob,

By that timeline, the stabilizing dose of K-Meta should have been delivered somewhere in August, so you'd be around the 90-day mark since then which would trigger another K-Meta addition (general consensus is 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons) - I personally err on the side of caution on the Better Bottles, but as smurfe noted, you're well within the six month timeframe.

- Jim

I will see if I can find the source. Can't remember if it was one of the books I purchased or Winemaker mag but the gist was that BB's are OK for short term bulk aging but you want glass for long term.

Plastic no matter what the manufacturer would have you believe does allow gas in and out over time.

RadarLuv said:
What do you base that on Mike?  

Thanks for the info. I expect these wines will only sit another 4-8 weeks before I bottle them.

BOB

I only use Better Bottles, and I bulk age for a year. I have noticed no problems, off tastes, etc. I keep an eye on the airlocks and add a little k-meta every few months. 20 kits in, so far all is well.

I agree with smurfe and Jim, long range bulk aging in the better bottles is not a good idea. That is why I bulk age no more than 2 months in mine. Unless I have a free glass carboy.

Back