best method for telling if my White Wine is completely clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a RJS Grand Cru Sauvignon Blanc that is about 90% clear. I stabilized it about 3 weeks ago, racked it 2 weeks ago and there is still micro-sediment that is visible when I shine a flashlight through.
I had been thinking I did not degass enough so my question is this.
Should I add super-clear and stir, or should I rack it first, then add the SC and degass agian? I have a really hard time racking without taking a bunch of stuff from the bottom

thanks

If you only have a bit on the bottom, I would degas first then use the super kleer. Wait about 3-4 weeks before racking after that so the sediment can all settle and compact.

Dan, I have seen several references to Super Kleer "compacting" on the bottom of a carboy, implying that it stays in place while racking is performed. I believe that Super Kleer is just Kieselsol and Chitosan, both of which I use but I cannot get the sediment to compact. That is, it still "flows" when I tip the carboy for racking. Is there a difference in Super Kleer and the two elements mentioned above? Thank you.

Rocky you are correct about those being the ingrediants of super kleer. I also buy it in bulk as you're doing. By compact I am refering to it as no longer suspended in the wine but setting on the bottom.The longer it sit there the easier it is to rack closer to it without pulling it up in the siphon tube. YES if you get the cane too close, you will pull it in. I like to siphon out everything I can without any sediment what so ever. Then I can alway rack the last bit into a smaller bottle and let it settle and rack off of that bottle.

I also have my carboys tipped on 2x4's so most of the sediment is on one side of the carboy and rack from the high side.

Thanks for the tips, Dan. I have been concerned about my racking techniques because I never seem to get a full 6 gallons out of a kit. I ususally end up with about 5.25 and I know that I lose a lot in racking. I like the idea of keeping the cane away from the bottom for the first 5 gallons and then working on the rest in a smaller container. Of course, my "quality control" regimen accounts for some of the loss! :ib

Tipping carboys...

DSCN2304-1.jpg

If you only have a bit on the bottom, I would degas first then use the super kleer. Wait about 3-4 weeks before racking after that so the sediment can all settle and compact.

So its ok to stir it back in, without racking what has cleared off it? I will try this, I really havn't seen any improvement in about 10 days so I do think maybe I didn't degas enough. I am not in a big hurry but My friends just told me to use a filter and that will clear it lol. I told them I thought the wine had to be crystal clear before I even used the filter machine

So its ok to stir it back in, without racking what has cleared off it? I will try this, I really havn't seen any improvement in about 10 days so I do think maybe I didn't degas enough. I am not in a big hurry but My friends just told me to use a filter and that will clear it lol. I told them I thought the wine had to be crystal clear before I even used the filter machine

You are correct, a filter will not clear a cloudy wine, it will polish a clear wine.

Yes it is a good idea to stir the sediment back in if its not the gross lees. Again make sure you degass.

Your both right. It is best to clear your wine and rack off of any sediment before filtering. Filtering will then polish your wine making it sparkle. If you filtered with the sediment in it you would end up clogging you filter if it was a really fine one. It can be done though.

Not knowing what filter you are using, but if its the mini jet filter I have filtered up to 24 or more gallons through it using the same filters and little rest in between the four batches. If the wine was not sediment free I may not have been able to and the motor would have labored.

It all goes back to book one chapter two, studying the 3 P's by Tom!

I don't think you waited long enough after you stabilized for it to clear - only a week if I read your post correctly. I would stir up the sediment ( vigorously, to degass again, at about 24C) and let it resettle - it should do so quite quickly. If you wish you can add some superkleer, but I really don't think you need it.

Back