Best Clearing Agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reilly

Reaction score
I have a WE Pinot Noir in the primary currently with a couple more days to go.

I am wondering if I should use the chitosan that came in the kit or use sparklloid? I know the chitosan is derived from shellfish and don't want to potentially harm anyone that may have an allergy. Also, the sparklloid worked very well on my DB recently.

Is there any harm in using the sparklloid? Will it change the final product taste if the lees are removed and then cleared?

thanks in advance....

Are you talking about super kleer? I would recommend you use both parts of the package. From what I have heard it is harmless to people with shellfish allergies... However, I would at least give anyone who tries it a heads up, that way if they do have an allergic reaction they will at least know why they are dying.

I have not heard of a WE kit with super kleer in it. Usually they include chitosan or isinglass. I would suggest using the chitosan. It will settle out and when you rack/bottle it will stay behind as not to actually end up "in" the wine. I would just use it as directed. Make SURE you have thoroughly degassed before adding and it will work great. Sparkolloid works great on my fruit wines. Never tried in a kit just because I am sure the people at WE knew what they were doing when they put the kit together.

Stick with whats in the kit. They already did all the research for whats best. Do you really think they would add something that would have possible repercusions on them? This has been debated for years and I have not seen any reports of ill efffects yet.

Latest posts

Back