Berry Medly Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of making a three berry fruit wine with blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. They are in a prepackaged 3# bag from Sams. I was wondering if I use say 9# of the fruit, can I add a berry blend fruit juice with it to enhance the flavor? If so, how much juice should I use in the primary in addition to water? I will be making a 5 gallon batch. I have only 2 types of yeast right now EC-1118 and K1V-1116...any preference to which to use? And comparing recipes for the 3 berries I have I think this is what I will add:
Sugar to get proper SG
2 tbsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tbsp Yeast Energizer
3/4 tsp Pectic enzyme
2 1/2 tbsp Acid Blend
5 campden tabs
I usually do a yeast starter for my fruit wines but was thinking about doing the sprinkle method....never have done but which do yall think? All suggestions and help much appreciated!
smiley4.gif

I would get some 71B-1122 for a fruit wine myself or get some Red Star Cotes Des Blanc. You should use more nutrient and energizer unless that is the stated amount on your package as its usually 1 tsp per gallon with nutrient and 1/2 tsp per gallon with energizer. I would probably go with around 2 1/2 -3 gallons of juice and then water to 5 1/2 gallons as you always want to start with more then what you are shooting for so you have some for topping off later after racking off lees. I would also recommend adding all the energizer up front and 1/3 the nutrient up front, then another 1/3 of nutrient @ an Sg of 1.060 and the last bit around 1.030 as this will feed all the yeasties that are new from multiplying and not just the beginning 1's.
Yeast starters are always better, that being said I never do it but I always have plenty of yeast available in my fridge in case 1 doesnt take.
Edited by: wade

Your 3 Fruit Medley sounds good.

I see you used Tablespoons of Energizer and Nutrient, you are probably okay there.

I too would use 3 gallons of the juice, add the fruit...then water and sugar to your desired S.G...probably around 1.080-85. More flavor is always good.

Maybe 2½ tsp Pectic Enzyme....?

I always mix up an extra ½ gallon of must...nice for topping off and tasting. Get some tiny bungs that fit wine and beer bottles for your extra must.

If those are the only yeasts you have..... and, want to start 'NOW!!!'..... Of the two yeasts go with the K1-V1116.

Good luck and share your venture with us...and...photos....?

Edited by: Northern Winos

OOOPS, NW has made a good observation that i missed most likely due to this eye problem. The amount of nutrient and energizer ARE fine but would still do the step procedure with the nutrient. I do agree with NW on the KV 1116 but would get a different yeast myself.

Personall cowirl, I would just get a couple more bags of the three berry fruit and use that exclusively.

I agree with Waldo. With the fruit you are work with, 3-3 1/2 pounds per gallon should be good.

Well I decided to go ahead and buy more of the fruit so I used 15lbs of the berry blend and did purchase the 71B-1122 yeast. I will keep you posted to how it turns out! Thanks again for the suggestions.

I don't want to scare away newbies to this obsession...er...hobby, but do you have an acid titration kit?

The amount of acid blend you are using for a batch of wine will depend a lot on the ripeness and specific varieties of fruit that you have. There are many different kinds of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries out there and they all have different characteristics. I did not use a titration kit when I first started out and did pretty well for a while until I made a couple of wines that were either too "flat" or too "tart". I never write down a specific amount of acid blend in a recipe. I always state it as 'Acid blend to ".xx" tartaric'. I find that the amount I addoften varies slightly from batch to batch if even by only 1/4 tsp. The bigger the batch, the bigger the variance can be.

If you don't have one I wouldn't worry too much. I can't see 2 1/2tsp of acid blend making a 5 gallon batch too tart. A wine that is too flat can easily be adjusted up. Adjusting down is a different ball game altogether.

last night it was at 1.092 but i have not added the yeast yet. I was going to recheck it tonight before I add the yeast and cut it down if still too high which I am sure it still will be. I did a yeast starter instead of just sprinkling it.
Just rechecked SG is now 1.096 so how bad will it be to just leave it since I don't have any room in my primary to add anymore water! I have not used this type of yeast before(71B-1122 and the starter has not really started making it seems. It usually has a nice foamy head on it after 24hours but this one does not so I am hesitant to add it. What should I do at this point...will wait for suggestions before I continue....

I do have an acid kit and I have used it once but decided I was too overwhelmed with the total wine making process at that time but now that I do have a few batches under my belt that have turned out great
smiley17.gif
I should start trying to make it even better. I will check it tonight before adding the yeast and see what it is.
I still have not checked it but at this point I am sure it will be high since I added 2 1/2 Tablespoons of acid blend not teaspoons.....
smiley7.gif
I don't even know if I am going to check it at this point because I am so frazzled at myself and don't really want to know how bad it may be.

OMG Wood Eye!!!!!!! I am rolling here!!! Sorry Wade, we luv ya man!!
smiley4.gif

Cowgirl, is this a 1 gallon recipe you are using and making 5 gallons?
Did you find this recipe somewhere? Can you share?
smiley4.gif

cowgirlallison said:
last night it was at 1.092 but i have not added the yeast yet.

I noticed your sg went UP from 1.092 to 1.096. Did you stir well the first time you checked the sg? What was the temp of the must?

Just rechecked SG is now 1.096 so how bad will it be to just leave it since I don't have any room in my primary to add anymore water!

If you leave it at that sg, it's going to be pretty hot and will take some time to mellow out.

I have not used this type of yeast before(71B-1122 and the starter has not really started making it seems. It usually has a nice foamy head on it after 24hours but this one does not so I am hesitant to add it. What should I do at this point...will wait for suggestions before I continue....

71B-1122 is a good yeast, but if the must is too acidic, it may not ferment the way you expect it too. If you have another fermenter, I would add a half gallon of water to start and check sg.If it's reasonable for you, split the batch into two primaries.

I noticed your sg went UP from 1.092 to 1.096. Did you stir well the first time you checked the sg? What was the temp of the must?
I did stir it very well the first time i checked sg the temp was 70 when I checked it both times.
If I split this batch out then what about the fruit that I have in my original primary...split it?? And if the yeast starter still looks crappy when I get home today should I just start with a new batch of yeast and use the sprinkle method or make another starter?

cowgirlallison said:
If I split this batch out then what about the fruit that I have in my original primary...split it?? And if the yeast starter still looks crappy when I get home today should I just start with a new batch of yeast and use the sprinkle method or make another starter?

It won't hurt to split the batch and have the crushed fruit in one since you will be blending after fermentation anyway. Since you've already made a starter, you could use a new packet of yeast for each batch and use the sprinkle method. It should take off.

Latest posts

Back