Bentonite ratio?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreR

Reaction score
So I have relied on time to do the majority of my clearing. I used superkleer a couple times, liked it. Been doing some research, and seems bentonite does less damage to a wine then some others. Damage being color and or flavor stripping. (Hope I'm getting it right!)
How much bentoniet is used for a given volume of wine? I've read 1 to 5 pounds per 1000 gallons. What is tupical for 5 gallon batches?

Is there a fining agent that you would prefer to use?

Thanks for your help.

I use Bentonite only on white wines. It could strip some color and aroma. When I use it I use 1.25gr per gallon. There is no reason to use this on red wines.

So I have relied on time to do the majority of my clearing. I used superkleer a couple times, liked it. Been doing some research, and seems bentonite does less damage to a wine then some others. Damage being color and or flavor stripping. (Hope I'm getting it right!)
How much bentoniet is used for a given volume of wine? I've read 1 to 5 pounds per 1000 gallons. What is tupical for 5 gallon batches?

Is there a fining agent that you would prefer to use?

Thanks for your help.

Depends on what I am making. Red and white kits all have it, so I'll use it. From grapes or juice, I just stick with time; I don't use superkleer or bentonite unless I have a stubborn batch or am in a rush to bottle for some reason.

Latest posts

Back