Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toms wine kits continued

WERE DOING TWO KITS AT A TIME SO HANG IN THERE.....:dg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

7a.jpg

7b.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Toms wine kits continued

TOM AND I ARE GOING TO MAKE TWO INEXPENSIVE WINE KITS FROM FONTANA WINE THESE ARE 4 WEEKS KITS SOMETHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH AND TO EXPERIMENT WITH AS WELL.WERE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING FANCY WITH THEM JUST WANT TO MAKE THESE CHEAP KITS SO THAT WHEN THEY FINISH THEY TASTE GOOD,WE’LL SEE.
1. SHORTEN THE VOLUMN FROM A 6 TO A 5 GALLON
2. CAPITALIZE EACH TO A STARTING SG OF 1.10
3. ADDED OAK TO BOTH ONLY/ONE CAME WITH OAK
4. IN THE SECONDARY WILL ADD 1 TABLE SPOON OF OAK TANNINS.

THE IDEA OF SHORTENNING THE VOLUMN WAS TO INCREASE THE DENSITY OF THE BASE, AS IT WAS IF WE WERE TO MAKE A 6-GALLON BATCH AS DIRECTED THE WINE WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY THIN AND VERY LITTLE ALCOHOL. THE INEXPENSIVE KITS THAT STATE FOR 6 GALLONS IN MY OPPION CAN BE MADE INTO A 5 GALLON BATCH WITH OUT SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES UNLESS THEY HAVE A FPAC FROM THE MANUFACTURE.

THIS SHOULD BE A SHORT PROCESS AND MaYBE,JUST MAY BE A WAY TO CURVE THOSE HIGHER WINE KIT COSTS???
Well so far so good no problem on the consistence or taste of the product going into the secondary, we’ve added wine tannins and a cup of oak again this time to the secondary, we’ll degas for the next week every other day take a ph reading see were where at then will add the chems and start the fining process. There were no difficulties with the volume reduction on the contrary it gave the wine more body and flavor for a 4 week wine kit, not bad so far at all. Now if this had an fpac okay don’t mess with the volume, but it didn’t sometimes the process isn’t always just right, we as wine makers have the ability to adjust to our needs…follow the flow.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Fontana wine kits

up date we've degassed added chems and cleared both reds ,tom,carol and i bottled today and of course tasted the finial product,not bad for a 4 week kit the Merlot needed a little more time to set up but had great promise the Cabernet was spot on .we produced 25 bottles of finished wine for our efforts per kit.final enter on these two without counting the bottles or corks each cost us per bottle $1.80 to produce, not bad for a decent everyday red.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1aa (2).jpg

1b (2).jpg

1c.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

2C.jpg

2D.jpg

3.jpg

Fontana 4 week kits

4 week kits the

TOM AND I ARE GOING TO MAKE TWO INEXPENSIVE WINE KITS FROM FONTANA WINE THESE ARE 4 WEEKS KITS SOMETHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH AND TO EXPERIMENT WITH AS WELL.WERE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING FANCY WITH THEM JUST WANT TO MAKE THESE CHEAP KITS SO THAT WHEN THEY FINISH THEY TASTE GOOD,WE’LL SEE.

THE IDEA OF SHORTENNING THE VOLUMN WAS TO INCREASE THE DENSITY OF THE BASE, AS IT WAS IF WE WERE TO MAKE A 6-GALLON BATCH AS DIRECTED THE WINE WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY THIN AND VERY LITTLE ALCOHOL. THE INEXPENSIVE KITS THAT STATE FOR 6 GALLONS IN MY OPPION CAN BE MADE INTO A 5 GALLON BATCH WITH OUT SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES UNLESS THEY HAVE A FPAC FROM THE MANUFACTURE.

THIS SHOULD BE A SHORT PROCESS AND MaYBE,JUST MAY BE A WAY TO CURVE THOSE HIGHER WINE KIT COSTS???
Well so far so good no problem on the consistence or taste of the product going into the secondary, we’ve added wine tannins and a cup of oak again this time to the secondary, we’ll degas for the next week every other day take a ph reading see were where at then will add the chems and start the fining process. There were no difficulties with the volume reduction on the contrary it gave the wine more body and flavor for a 4 week wine kit, not bad so far at all. Now if this had an fpac okay don’t mess with the volume, but it didn’t sometimes the process isn’t always just right, we as wine makers have the ability to adjust to our needs…follow the flow.
:brend​

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

There are some that are sold at Staples. I like them because they are thick plastic and a little bit rigid (you can use them to write on). They are cheap (under $3) and are durable/wipe clean.

The other alternative

with the prices increasing on the kits we normally use it makes good sence to take a good look at these alternative kits for the beginner and for the pro..you can make it your own but you need to {think ouside the box}

1 Box.jpg

1.jpg

1 kit contents.jpg

1a.jpg

Basic wine chemistry

THINGS TO REMEMBER????
Basic Wine Chemistry

Chaptalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape developed by the French chemist Jean-Antoine-Claude Chaptal, for whom it was named. Contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wine sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in chaptalized wine cannot be tasted. :dg
Potassium Metabisulfite is a common wine or must additive, where it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as potent antioxidant, protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of wine.
Typical dosage is ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite, per 6 gallon bucket of must (yielding roughly 75ppm of SO2) prior to fermentation, and ½ tsp per 6 gallon bucket (150 ppm of SO2) at bottling. ......:dg
Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% SO2 (2 tsp potassium metabisulfite per L) solution.
Potassium Sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeasts in wine. Also known affectionately as “wine stabilizer”, potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. When a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent refermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard cider but may be added to table wines which exhibits difficulty in maintaining clarity after fining. :d

Toms wine kits

these kits could be an a lternative to the expensive ones and are great for first timers learning the process,follow the flow with tom and carol and me ....

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1aa (2).jpg

1b (2).jpg

1c.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

2C.jpg

2D.jpg

3.jpg

TOMS kits continued

things are going as expected reducing these kits from a 6 gallon mix down to a 5 gallon mix works and works well .

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Toms wine kits

they can be additive as well as rewarding as long as you think outside the box.

1a.jpg

Shiraz /viognier

TALK ABOUT OUTSTAND IN FLAVOR THIS KIT HAS IT ALL,REALLY............:hug

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Amarone the king of italian reds

this is for KKENTERT,for your wine making experience this is the way I did it juice or kit follow the process and it will be a winner and oh by the way tell Michael pinto Joe Pauline said to say hello. The idea is to process the juice using raisins and capitalizing along the way the process seems a little long but I try to brake down all the steps as I go, follow the flow. Even though I'm showing you a kit the process and the chemistry is the same the process time and elements are the same ,GOT IT!.....:d step one get all your elements together first.

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

1a bentonite.jpg

5 grape bag.jpg

7 SG.jpg

Amarone the king of italian reds

notice the kit came with a grape fpac you can make one, no problem. Also it has dexterous your going to use 1 quart of simple syrup for the capitalization precess,this will boost the (abv.) alcohol level of the finished sun maid raisins for depth and richness sounds like a lot but your making the KING of ITALIAN REDS, no short cuts. Follow the flow you can by oak dust online along with any other oak you want to add to the mix, remember get all your product in line before you start and when you get the juice home alow the wine to set until it reaches room temperature don't try starting the process until then that's critical GOT IT !

10 the mix.jpg

11 makes 6 gals.jpg

dextrose pics (1).jpg

dextrose pics (2).jpg

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

8 adding yeast (2).jpg

9 Oak.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Joe!
So you think raisins are as god or better than ordering a grape skin pack? If so, how many raisins would you recommend in a 6 gallon batch?
Oak - Should I add it in the beginning stage, during aging, or does it matter when?
Any thoughts on reducing the juice down a bit by simmering it instead of adding sugar?
Thanks again,
Kevin

Latest posts

Back