WineXpert Before I bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Ok will be bottleing soon and will age bottle, what should I add to give me longer shelf life?

Just clear and bottle. But shelve life is only about a year, want to be able to go longer as I have a lot of other wines down there ( store bought).

Jim, how long ago did you add meta? I know you probably have no way of testing for it at this point in the game. If it's been about three months I would add 1/4 tsp. If its been only about 45 days I would go with 1/8 tsp of meta. This may be over shooting just a bit but you lose a good amount when you rack and bottle.

Totally agree with Runningwolf. If you aged like 6 months and have already added an additional 1/4 tsp at the 3 or 4 month mark then again the 1/8 tsp at this point is more likely what you need.

I agree as well - sounds about right.

Just wait a while before drinking - otherwise you can taste the SO2.

I forgot when you started this wine, but I suggest you don't get inta a big rush to bottle it. Give it plenty of time to clear. Patience is your friend, my friend.

You will want to pay attention to the type of corks you use. Of course it all depends on how long you intend to age the wine. Some corks are good for a couple of years; some much longer.

spraying the bottles

Hello,
I read that before bottling you should spray the bottles with 5 - 6 skirts (from a spray bottle) of K-meta and then let the bottles drip dry in the bottle tree rack. Would this eliminate the need to add the K-meta into the carboy before bottling?

Thank you

Hello,
I read that before bottling you should spray the bottles with 5 - 6 skirts (from a spray bottle) of K-meta and then let the bottles drip dry in the bottle tree rack. Would this eliminate the need to add the K-meta into the carboy before bottling?

Thank you

No. These are two separate issues. One is to sanitize the bottle; the other is to protect the wine for an extended period of time.

Wine was only started a few weeks back, just started the cleaing a few days ago. Need to bottle age as Im limited on carboys. Using a natural cork but just looking to extend shelf life for maybe 2 years. So how much of what do I need to add?

Wine was only started a few weeks back, just started the cleaing a few days ago. Need to bottle age as Im limited on carboys. Using a natural cork but just looking to extend shelf life for maybe 2 years. So how much of what do I need to add?

If you are clearing, I'll assume you added the supplied Kmeta packet, which came with the kit.

That being done, some kits say that if you are not going to drink the wine within six months, to add an additional 1/4 tsp of Kmeta before bottling. If you want to bottle age for about 2 years, I would add the extra just before you bottle, making sure it is stirred in very well.

Just add the extra 1/4 tsp of Kmeta as mentioned in the directions for ageing beyond 6 months. Since you need to get it into bottles asap to free up your carboy, I would suggest that when your wine is clear dissolve the extra kmeta in a bit of water, add it to your primary bucket, then rack your wine from your carboy into the bucket and then bottle from there.
I assume you have already added the included sulphite and sorbate at stabilization.

Yes all packets have been added at this point and just waiting to bottle but have a little time as we are leaving for vacation next friday so it will be left in carboy until march 10th. Then My new 3 gallon carboys will be here and with that one empty I have plans to have them all filled again. Hmm lots more carboys needed... lol Thanks folks... Cant wait for me to start helping folks here you guys and gals are great....

No. These are two separate issues. One is to sanitize the bottle; the other is to protect the wine for an extended period of time.

O.K. I thought the residual coating inside the bottle of the K-Meta would serve both purposes.

Thank you for the clarification,
Tony

O.K. I thought the residual coating inside the bottle of the K-Meta would serve both purposes.

Thank you for the clarification,
Tony

Of course any Kmeta present will also contribute to protecting the wine. Also, if the free SO2 level is very close to being good, the little bit still in the bottle will add a smidgin to the level. However, don't assume that small amount is going to protect your wine by itself. If the free SO2 level of your wine is low, you should adjust it separately and assume what you use for sanitizing the bottle is just for that purpose.

Latest posts

Back