Basic degassing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been doing the degassing for the last couple of weeks on various fruit wines. I try to be vary careful, of course, and not go crazy. I noticed that sometimes the "foam" dissipates within seconds and sometimes it can linger for quite some time. Why? Multiple gasses? More CO2 making a "hardier" foam? I'm curious!

I blame it on phase of the moon. Or which side of my mouth I am holding the chew on. (In other words, I got no clue what causes it, but it's there).

(The chew comment comes from working in the oil industry in Oklahoma in the early 80's seemed like almost all of the non-engineer folks used Skoal or some such type of what I called worm dirt and whenever anything didn't seem to be working quite as expected, the reason was they were holding the chew in the wrong side of their mouth. Nasty habit that I never picked up)

I blame it on phase of the moon. Or which side of my mouth I am holding the chew on. (In other words, I got no clue what causes it, but it's there).

(The chew comment comes from working in the oil industry in Oklahoma in the early 80's seemed like almost all of the non-engineer folks used Skoal or some such type of what I called worm dirt and whenever anything didn't seem to be working quite as expected, the reason was they were holding the chew in the wrong side of their mouth. Nasty habit that I never picked up)
Oh, gosh. A looonnnnggg time ago I chewed to help me lose weight. It worked. Mostly Red Man in the pouch. It was 29 cents then. Man is that stuff addictive!!! First thing in the morning before the bathroom or anything else I'd be loading up. It IS a nasty habit! The spit stains concrete and kills grass...and I had that in my mouth!?!?!?!?! But it helped me lose weight.

Oh, gosh. A looonnnnggg time ago I chewed to help me lose weight. It worked. Mostly Red Man in the pouch. It was 29 cents then. Man is that stuff addictive!!! First thing in the morning before the bathroom or anything else I'd be loading up. It IS a nasty habit! The spit stains concrete and kills grass...and I had that in my mouth!?!?!?!?! But it helped me lose weight.
I knew a guy who chewed. The paint on the whole left side of his car peeled off from his spitting out the window while driving. Was not a pretty sight!

oh boy, tobacco juice wine. 🤢🤮

Last edited:
oh boy, tobacco juice wine. 🤢🤮
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

In case you missed it - NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I got to the point where I could swallow a little of the juice with no affect. I had adventurous friends sample the chew and say it's not bad. I didn't tell them to spit because I thought it was obvious. And when I DID tell them to spit they ignored the advice. Every one violently coughed, gagged. The ones who threw up recovered the fastest.

I neglected to mention that if I forgot about a spittle container it would have multi color growth after just a couple days. Some microscopic critters loved the environment!

Nasty habit but I went from 320+ #'s to around 200. Yes, at the time I told people about the "Dave Diet" but didn't get any converts.

A friend of mine would have chew on one side, snuff on the other, be smoking a cigar, and drinking beer. I tried chew once, and that was 2 times too many!
It's interesting how some people can do EVERYTHING that's supposed to be bad for you and thrive. Others shrivel if the wind blows the wrong way. Survival of the fittest, I guess.

It's interesting how some people can do EVERYTHING that's supposed to be bad for you and thrive. Others shrivel if the wind blows the wrong way. Survival of the fittest, I guess.
Conversely it can be called, "working towards a Darwin award". 🤣

So , has anybody tried making wine out of chew? And I mean NEW, unused chew. Sounds maybe a bit out there, but...maybe it's good.
One of the brands I tried way back then was called Havana Blossom. It was essentially tobacco leaf, no flavoring. It wasn't unpleasant but definitely an acquired taste. The flavored chews? Who knows what they add.

A quick search for tobacco leaf chemical components shows malic, acetic, formic, citric and oxalic acids. Oxalic acid is in the parts of some garden plants and generally avoided - because it's nasty. There's a boatload of other chemicals. Wow, I had no idea!

As the primary flavor ingredient? I have reservations. (The phrase "batshitcrazy" comes to mind. 😄 ) HOWEVER, I wonder if it could be used as a subtle flavor addition, like a form of "oaking"?

It might work better with some kind of distilled spirit - ohmyGod it's amazing how the mind works. There IS a tobacco infused liquer! I think it's called perique? But we don't talk about that here.

Latest posts

Back