Basement Temp 57. Upstairs 67. When & Where To Put It?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
Right now our pear/raspberry wine is about 2 & 1/2 days into fermenting in the primary upstairs with a upstairs house temp of about 66 to 67. We had to get the yeast started by raising the temp with a heating pad and that worked nicely.

We took the heating pad off after about a day when the fermentation was in full force and have been monitoring the temp of the bucket. Over the last few days it's slowly dropped and is now at about 69.7 degrees but is still bubbling at a rate of about once per second.

Should we put the heating pad back on to insure it's not getting too cold for the yeast to work (champain yeast) or should anything about 65 degrees be fine for the yeast to finish it's job?

Also, when visible signs of fermentation in the primary (meaning no signs of bubbling in the breather) are done in say 2 to 4 more days probably should we heat it back up to say 75 to be sure?

And, when it appears done and we rack into a carboy should we keep it upstairs in the 66/67 degree air or when should we put it downstairs in the 57 degree air? I measured the temperture of the floor downstairs where it would sit and it's about that.

But what do you mean by fermentation being complete? No visible bubbling signs in the breather on the primary bucket, two months down the road, etc? I just don't want to rack this into the secondary and stick it down stairs to find out that it didn't convert all the sugar that it could. The upstairs 67 degree temp worries me that it might go dormant before it's done doing it's thing.

You can take a hydrometer reading to be sure of a full, complete, fermentation.

If you do not have a hydrometer, I would just keep an eye on the wine. When the wine stops bubbling, and begins to clear (and no longer tastes sweet), then I would say that fermentation if most likely complete and It should be safe to place in colder temps.

If I were you I'd maybe look into getting a brew belt. That way you don't have to move full carboys of liquid up and down the stairs. Just leave it in the basement and put the brew belt on it when it's fermenting, and then take it off when it's done.

If I were you I'd maybe look into getting a brew belt. That way you don't have to move full carboys of liquid up and down the stairs. Just leave it in the basement and put the brew belt on it when it's fermenting, and then take it off when it's done.

I agree, I use these all the time.

But what do you mean by fermentation being complete?

Critter- The wine will continue to ferment for a while after your first racking from primary to carboy, unless of course it fermented completely in the primary which most don't recommend (although some here do exactly that).

Usually you would rack to the carboy when the S.G. is around 1.000 to 1.010 or somewhere in there. The idea is to put the wine in an environment where it won't be exposed to air and let it safely finish fermenting. This stage can take a while, just leave it in a warm area and check it with your hydrometer periodically to monitor progress.

Fermentation is complete when the gravity is at or below 1.000 and the gravity is not changing over several days.

Last edited:

Not hijacking the thread, as I've got a similar problem with the basement/upstairs thing.

If you use a brewbelt, do you need a temp controller? My understanding is that the fermentation should be between 70-75 Deg F. Or would a temp tape on the fermenter give a good indication? I just don't want the brewbelt on continuously to maintain the temperature.

Thanks,
Bob

Happy Holidays!

Bob you will not need a thermostat with a brew belt. I've been using them for several years with no issues. A stick thermometer will not really work with these as the temp will be different at different levels. I just realized this a few weeks ago by checking with a laser thermometer. The brew belt works best if it is placed towards the bottom of the carboy. If you place it in the middle I found in my research the bottom stays cool.
Use it without concern as the dangers you face carrying a carboy up and down the stairs are far greater.

Bob you will not need a thermostat with a brew belt. I've been using them for several years with no issues. A stick thermometer will not really work with these as the temp will be different at different levels. I just realized this a few weeks ago by checking with a laser thermometer. The brew belt works best if it is placed towards the bottom of the carboy. If you place it in the middle I found in my research the bottom stays cool.
Use it without concern as the dangers you face carrying a carboy up and down the stairs are far greater.

Thanks, Wolf. Saves me some money not buying a thermostat.

But, a laser thermometer? Hmmm. A new toy!

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for the info. On about the 5th or 6th day the breather showed no signs of life on the primary even after watching it for several minutes, so I figured it was time to rack it and move downstairs. The day prior it would bubble once like every 30 seconds or so.

You're right, the wine was starting to clear. We had been stirring it twice a day but for the last day we didn't stir it because we were planning to rack it and sure enough the top half was pretty clear. It's now been racked into the carboy and is sitting in the basement. We really don't want anymore alcohol converted anyway because it's going to be high with 10 pounds of sugar and champagne yeast. The "wine" tasted dry when we racked it so I suspect it's done it's job converting all that sugar.

I have the same issue.... I'm looking for a solution so that I can ferment in my basement.... I was looking at the brew belt but I'm not sure A. That I want to invest in 3 of these right now. B. I want them running all the time (electrical cost). I read in another thread about using a tub of water and an aquarium heater. I used to be into salt water tanks and have a sizable collection of heaters.... I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?... My basement is about 60f.... I'm thinking the electrical cost would be less using the small heater and water.

I have the same issue.... I'm looking for a solution so that I can ferment in my basement.... I was looking at the brew belt but I'm not sure A. That I want to invest in 3 of these right now. B. I want them running all the time (electrical cost). I read in another thread about using a tub of water and an aquarium heater. I used to be into salt water tanks and have a sizable collection of heaters.... I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?... My basement is about 60f.... I'm thinking the electrical cost would be less using the small heater and water.

My basement is about 50-55 right now at waist height. I just fermented out muscadine must with a small heater on the floor. Once fermentation starts, I've found it continures fairly well until it ferments out. I also have 2 brew belts I have used in colder temps. I would turn them on when I came home from work then turn them off in the am when I left for work with no problems. Alot depends on the yeast. Ideal temps are mid 70's but if you look at the temp ranges of the yeast, many list a lower end of 50-60. Wine will degass easier at higher temps. JMHO

Wine will degass easier at higher temps. JMHO

This is another reason why I think the aquarium heater / outer water pan would come in handy. I can easily dial it down to 65 or up to 75 or even up to 85 for degassing.

I think trying to heat a bath of water would probably use more energy than trying to target heat three buckets... especially if you wrapped the sides with a blanket to prevent heat loss on the sides of the bucket. You're target heating primaries directly rather than trying to heat a intermediate conductive material (water) that will heat your buckets.

If you are just looking at elect costs I run 2 most of the time and I leave them on all the time over the period of a month my bill was like $8.00 different and this was Nov & Dec which usually cost me more anyway so i am not sure all the $8. was the belts, so it is not really that bad.

I'm not sure how many watts a brew belt runs at but using 5g of watter in an outer basin around your 6g of juice your only heating 11g of water. A 50w auarium heater would handle that.

Wouldn't the water act as a cooling system also? If the heater is set at 72 and your must starts to raise in temperature wouldn't the outer water start to disapate the heat? If true this would give you better overall temperature regulation.

Welcome WeLoveCab,

Actually, I keep my basement around 65 and to date I have not had any issues with fermenting and I do not use a brew belt. When it is real cold I start it in the laundry room and always keep it up off the floor.

Latest posts

Back