Barrel Sulfur Confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovjock

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to protect my barrel until the fall so it looks like the best way for me is to use sulfur discs. However, I am getting conflicting information (shocking, I know) on how dry the barrel should be before using a sulfur disc.

I have read that the barrel needs to be "bone dry" all the way to "don't let your barrel dry out for more than a couple hours without sulfur". Going bone dry means I have to rehydrate, which I don't want to do. Conversely, if the barrel is too wet, the SO2 will combine with the water to form Sulfurous Acid.

Anyone have any guidance here? Thanks in advance.

I want to protect my barrel until the fall so it looks like the best way for me is to use sulfur discs. However, I am getting conflicting information (shocking, I know) on how dry the barrel should be before using a sulfur disc.

I have read that the barrel needs to be "bone dry" all the way to "don't let your barrel dry out for more than a couple hours without sulfur". Going bone dry means I have to rehydrate, which I don't want to do. Conversely, if the barrel is too wet, the SO2 will combine with the water to form Sulfurous Acid.

Anyone have any guidance here? Thanks in advance.
Unless your barrel is neutral I wouldn't want it filled with water. You will eliminate some of the remaining oak. I it were mine I would let it go dry and burn the sulfur stick. It doesn't take much work to rehydrate a barrel.

Latest posts

Back