Barbeque

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it is good and dry, it should work great, if you do not use too much.

That pork looks excellent! I never put sauce on mine. If ya want sauce, you can use it on your own sammich. I always have coleslaw to put on the sammiches also.

smiley20.gif

I'm still experimenting trying to find the best way to keep it as it
must be refrigerated to go to work the next day. The best would be to
have it done just in time to cooler it for the ride to work, but most
people want to eat at 9pm not 6 when we get there, it would have to be
coolered for 5 hours to do it that way. Any sugestions?

Wine and BBQ:
Wine picks for your barbecue
By RICHARD KINSSIES
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER WINE WRITER

It's official: Summer has arrived and with it our semiannual lifestyle change, which includes the clothes we wear, the food we eat and, of course, the wines we drink.

I find it interesting that in the fall, our other semiannual lifestyle change, we bring out the soup pot and the big reds and relegate any light white or pretty pink wine to a fond summer memory. But in the summer, when we trot out the pink wines and the crisp and light white wines we really don't give up on the big reds; we're just more selective about when we drink them.

Imagine a big slab of meat smoking and slow grilling on a wood fire served up with buttered corn, grilled rustic bread and a spicy black bean salad. Are you going to bring out the rose? The pinot gris or some light-footed Beaujolais? I don't think so. You'll most likely be reaching for one of those Godzilla zins no matter what the temperature. That said, I have no big monster zinfandels to recommend with barbeque but I do have a rose, a pinot gris and a couple of nice and juicy medium/full bodied reds that should work quite well with pretty near everything -- maybe even that big slab of meat.

2004 Sobon Estate ReZerve Amador County Rose

($10)

Texture is as important to a wine as it is to food and it's the soft and creamy texture of this wine mingled with the flavors and scents of summer fruit that really holds your attention. The Sobon folks tried to emulate the dry style of southern French roses beginning with their choice of grapes including grenache, syrah and carignane. This copper-colored wine has enough stuffing to hold up to richer foods, such as salmon, pork chops and maybe even ribs. (Grape Expectations, 206-763-4132)

2002 Airlie Willamette Valley Pinot Gris

($10)

Pinot gris is arguably the most important white grape in Oregon and for good reason; it seems to be the wine for all seasons -- and foods. This could be the white wine you drank all last winter and now it's ready for just about anything you can throw on the grill. Try it with grilled vegetables, salmon or halibut but also with grilled Dungeness crab and those big, succulent Pacifica oysters roasted in their own juices. (Grape Expectations)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>

<!--
OAS_AD('Middle2');
//-->

adv.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>

<!--
OAS_AD('Middle3');
//-->

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>2003 Terra Rosa Mendoza, Argentina Malbec

($13)

Malbec is one of the least favored of Bordeaux's red grapes but the Argentines, having shown it more respect, have been rewarded with a unique high-quality wine that has become their red wine calling card. The Terra Rosa has all the right stuff needed for those deliciously fatty red meats coming off the grill or out of the barbecue. It's got spicy black fruit flavors, lots of tannin and good acidity, yet still shows lots of style. (Noble Wines, 206-326-5274)

2003 Ca'del Solo Big House Red

($10)

Big House Red is made by the sometimes wacky folks at Bonny Doon Vineyard winery in Santa Cruz, Calif. Though the name on the label implies this is a big, as in full bodied, red house wine, it in fact refers to the state correctional facility near the vineyards where the grapes for this wine were grown. Isn't that a hoot? Uncork (actually, you'll have to unscrew) a bottle of Big House Red when you have the need for a big juicy -- and not too serious -- red to wash down, well, just about anything, except maybe prison food. (Noble Wines)
<DIV =vgray>Richard Kinssies is a freelance wine writer, director of the Seattle Wine School and owner of the Wine Outlet downtown. He can be contacted at 206-652-1311 or [email protected].
< = src="/ak/s/tools_plain.js" =text/>

hdivider.gif

Fastdrinkinwine.com and my first try at beef ribs....with my signature HOT MAPLE BBQ sauce.....Just what the doctor ordered

2005-07-02_163906_ribs_beef_003.jpg

Well, tonight is my last night shift and there are two more chickens in the fridge waiting for me at home!! They were really good!!

Well it sure looks like you are getting your moneys worth out of that cook shack!
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley2.gif

It's possible this cookshack is the best $500 I ever spent....and I have gone through a lot of money in my lifetime...lol

Mind if I jump in this fray and share a picture of my grilling culinary skills. I recently went to propane and surprisingly I like it better than charcoal as I have more control over the temperature. I was blessed with a all stainless steel Ducane for Fathers day from my darling wife and I see lots of good, lip smacking, grilling ahead. Just need some wine now to go with it. And what would be the recommendation for this meal?

2005-08-09_153742_Untitled-2.jpg

I'LL BRING DESERT.......CHERRY CHEESECAKE WITH WHIPPED CREAM AND A SHOT OF AMARETTO ON TOP!!!!
smiley20.gif

RAMONA

Sangria??? Enlighten me more Polish....the grasshopper is unlearned in these matters

I have a rather loose recipe for it. Cheap red wine (or any other cheap wine you have on hand), sugar, cut fruits, maybe some juice like orange juice or pineapple juice, cinnamon stick if you have it on hand, and clear soda. Mix it up, chill it, serve it over some ice. Don't worry too much about measuring. Just go for it!

Nothing personal, but since I got my COOKSHACK Smokette (thanks for the
rest of my life to HIPPIE) I threw my GRILL off the deck!!!

I just had two homebrews and pulled pork for dinner...."it don't get no better than this"

Latest posts

Back