banana wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you pitched the yeast? If so is the wine dry?
When I do banana I boil them for about an hour or two in a large pot with water then add the water to the primary and discard the nanners. However I only use them with other fruit as well.

Oh yea, yeast is pitched.

I mashed 36 lbs and added a little water and sugar, pitched the yeast and away she went. There might be 6 lbs left. Lol

I have never made wine with only bananas but I have had bananas in primary for more than three weeks with no drawbacks. so your looking at the end of the month atleast... but I would take them out as soon as fermentation is done.

Used bananas to add body to a wine, but never tried bananas on their own. Keep us up to date please.

Cheers, Tony.:bt

Well its at .994 so I racked it off into a clean bucket. Smells great even after removing the 5 or 6 lbs of scrap. Pretty good for starting/with 36 lbs.

I'll add camp den and sorbat in a little while. Then I'll decide where to go next. I'm sure it will have to be back sweetened.

wow ... one month to the bottle ... pretty quick.
did it clear all the way? filter it?
Did you take a final pic before bottle?

Well yes. Fermented at around 77-79. Fermented to dry (.994). Let sit and most everything just fell right out.

Backsweetened , watched for any signs of refermentation, put super kleer in it and racked off into clean carboy.

Didn't have any sedement but ran through a 1 micron filter and then bottled.

I tasted it cold last night and it will have to age quite a bit, its got a good banana flavor but is a little harsh right now. I figure its gotta age at least 6 months before I try it again. :p

Back