Bags in a box storage & dispenser system

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious for those using bag in box system..

How long are the bagged wines typically good for?

Which brand would you recommend?

I'm interested in a 5L system...for some of my vinos.

Thanks!

I have seen “bag in box” films. I don’t have enough experience to suggest one supplier vs another.
The film choices are basically EvOH which is transparent and an aluminumized film. In my application I have used them as in-between size carboys for storage for six or nine months. They don’t show oxidation issues.
If you haven’t looked at them yet, a five liter EvOH might be roughly square as 13.25” by 12 7/8”. This means it naturally fills to be a pillow. The spout can be welded on a corner or at top center. If I shape the box for a 9” wide base instead of a square base the five liter rated bag can hold significantly more than 5L.

Here's the reply I received from a B-I-B vendor:

Regarding your question about the longevity of wine stored in our 5L bag-in-box packaging, typically, these bags are designed to keep the wine fresh for about 6 to 8 weeks after opening. This is due to the vacuum-sealed nature of the bag, which significantly reduces the wine's exposure to air, a primary factor in the oxidation process that can lead to spoilage.

It's worth noting that the shelf life can vary depending on a few factors, including the type of wine, the storage conditions, and how often the bag is accessed. To maximize the freshness of your wine, we recommend storing the bag-in-box in a cool, dark place and ensuring the tap is appropriately sealed after each use.

If the wine is unopened, stored in optimal conditions (cool and dark), the bag-in-box can keep it in good condition for up to 2 years, though we always recommend enjoying it closer to the time of purchase for the best taste.

I was going to go this route as well, but got stopped in my tracks when anything I could get was 10 times the 'not available' prices. I should have a look and see if that has balanced out. It would be an interesting experiment. As I always split kits to 3 gallon carboy and let half bulk age further, I thought it would be a safe experiment to bag 3 gallons. Seems to go faster when you can't see the end of the bottle coming. 😂

Let us know if you try it. I will as well!

Latest posts

Back