Bad yeast :( good yeast :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockylinx

Junior
Reaction score
Hello-newbie here, 1st post

I have a question about bad yeast. Once the good yeast is finished and fermentation has stopped on its own. Is there still a possibility of bad yeast messing up your wine? even if you use a campden tablet and Potassium Metabisulfite? Do you still have to be very careful with sanitizing everything?

thanks everyone in advanced

Welcome to WMT

Post-fermentation, yeast isnt so much the worry - although there are surface-yeasts that can make a wine funky - as bacterium & other micro-organisms are..

Sulfite/campden tablets, well managed, pretty well negate any ability for surface yeasts to present themselves in harmful (to the wine) numbers

Things like acetobacter, responsible for making vinegar, are a bigger worry & are cause for cleaning and sanitation protocols post-fermentation.

Welcome to WMT

Post-fermentation, yeast isnt so much the worry - although there are surface-yeasts that can make a wine funky - as bacterium & other micro-organisms are..

Sulfite/campden tablets, well managed, pretty well negate any ability for surface yeasts to present themselves in harmful (to the wine) numbers

Things like acetobacter, responsible for making vinegar, are a bigger worry & are cause for cleaning and sanitation protocols post-fermentation.

Ahh got it! so acetobacter could still be harmful even with an elevated alcohol content-thank you
Pete

Always be careful and sanitize everything, this is the number one rule.
If I'm not mistaken aren't campden tablets and Potassium Metabisulfite the same thing?

Always be careful and sanitize everything, this is the number one rule.
If I'm not mistaken aren't campden tablets and Potassium Metabisulfite the same thing?

Yes. There's sodium or potassium metabisulfite. Same with Campden tabs - sodium or potassium based.

Latest posts

Back