Backsweeting and Bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertwind56

Reaction score
I have some apple wine (started in Aug.) and triple berry wine (started in May) that I back-sweetened last weekend. I'm wondering if next weekend is too soon to bottle? I want to be certain that the wine doesn't restart fermentation.

Oh, both had sorbate added months ago. And added K-meta this last weekend.

Thanks!

U should be fine IF, your wine is clear and no activity in the airlock. Degas just in case...after you rack to the bottling bucket. I would not bottle directly from the carboy.

Thank-you Tom!

Wine is clear. The apple wine looks so pretty!:db There is no action in the airlocks. And I will rack to bucket and degas before bottling.

I gotta get this stuff in bottles before the family starts drinking it!:d

Thanks again!

U should be fine IF, your wine is clear and no activity in the airlock. Degas just in case...after you rack to the bottling bucket. I would not bottle directly from the carboy.

Tom just a question.. Why do you say not to bottle directly from the carboy??

I prefer to rack to another carboy when I back sweeten as to blend the entire wine, especially if I had oak in any of my wines, or cinnamon for apple.

Yes after 2 weeks you may bottle if no activity. Leave the bottles upright for a day or two then you may lay them on their sides.

You really should wait 1 month before opening any in case your wine goes into bottle shock. If you like semi cork a bottle and drink that night or in a few days.

Tom just a question.. Why do you say not to bottle directly from the carboy??
I find it rarely is clear unless you age for 6+ months for whites. It is rarely as clear as you think, so, rack 1 more time.

Latest posts

Back