Back Sweeten with top up wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clifton

Reaction score
I have my second batch of Vino Italiano Zinfandel Blush that I need to sweeten and top up. I'm trying to avoid watering it down. Can I use a bottle of my top up wine (batch #1) to dissolve my sugar in?

Only after sorbate has been added.
Yes, warm the top off wine a little, so the sugar will completely dissolve. "Completely dissolve!!!"
Never top off with water. I don't know why the kit manufacturers would ever say to use water, but I know they do.

I've already added sorbate. I was planning on using a simple syrup to sweeten and then top up with wine, but figured I could kill two birds and lessen the chance of thinning out the wine. Thanks for the reply.

I just finished doing this. It took three and a half bottles. I had a little less than 6 gallons because of the bananas in primary and that I've transferred twice now.

I totally agree about topping up with water. I don't ever do that. This is only my 3rd wine kit. I've been brewing beer for a few years though.

Robie was just making sure that the "Top Off" wine had sorbate also as if not thuis could start fermenting again. The thing is sorbate doesnt kill yeast, it just stops it from reproducing so adding suagr to a wine that hasnt been stabilized could get that fermenting which in turn could get the whole batcxh fermenting for a bit as once it gets started sorbat will not stop it.

It does. It was my 1st batch I stabilized it and sweetened to 1.000. When I added the top up and wine syrup I stirred again with my drill and got more co2 and the foamy layer mixed in and settled to the bottom. I'm going to let it clarify for a couple weeks before I bottle.

Latest posts

Back