as grape vines get older

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
Do they usually produce better wine grapes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/03vinesli.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I read this in the new york times this morning.
I was living on long island when they first started making wine with grapesfrom local vineyard. Every good italian boy enjoys a glass of wine so i drove out east and bought a few bottles. all I remember is YUCK
smiley3.gif
smiley36.gif
I threw al of it out after tasting from each bottle andI never purchased it again.
NowI see an article that seems positive about the products.

Any insight on this subject??????

Scotty a lot of vines do get more complex as the wines get older- case in poin- Old Vines Zinfandel. This literally is wine made from old Zinfandel vines that are around 50 years old. You should try those wines again for yourself and see if they are as you remember or if they are better now thanyou remember. Our tastes develop as we age.
smiley4.gif

appleman said:
Scotty a lot of vines do get more complex as the wines get older- case in poin- Old Vines Zinfandel. This literally is wine made from old Zinfandel vines that are around 50 years old. You should try those wines again for yourself and see if they are as you remember or if they are better now thanyou remember. Our tastes develop as we age.
smiley4.gif

Ill try to find some. Thanks for the reply
smiley1.gif

Scotty: I can attest to what appleman says. I'm not a huge zin guy, my wife doesn't like reds at all. A buddy of mine on another board (jbo_c) gave me a bottle of Lodi, Old vines Zin about a year ago (it was already a year old) and we absolutely loved it, including my wife. It has a nice sweet fruit forward, a hot peppery bit over the tongue and finishes with a musty (foxy) fruity taste. It was the most awesome red I had ever had, home made, kit or commercial. I beleive his kit was a Celler Craft with grape pack. Highly recommend this kit.

Im still missing the experience of drinking aged wines. The oldest i ever drank was my 7 month old sangeovese.
The long island NY wines were very new
I will try to get my hands on some aged wines.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back