Other Are high end white kits worth the money?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisjw

Reaction score
For red wines, I am convinced that buying high end kits that contain grape packs or grape skins are the way to go. One needs to let them age a couple years but I do not mind that.

However, I have gotten fairly good results with cheap Chardonnay kits. I like oaked Chardonnays so I tweak them by adding oak to taste before bottling. I do find that these also get much better when aged at least 2 years.

How about higher end white wine kits in general? Are they really worth the extra money? Since most white wines, with the exception of Chardonnay, are relatively light, I wouldn't that there would be much increase in the body. Alcohol content should be about the same. Is the flavor that much better?

Last edited:
Good question. I can only say I hope so because I've got two higher end kits in the works right now. My wife and I are presently enjoying the wine made from two low end kits, both RJS VDV, a Pinot Noir and a Pinot Grigio. The wines in the works now are a Washington Merlot (RJS) and a White Zinfandel (MM). If the high end kits aren't more than just marginally better I'll be going back to the low end RJS kits.

I have to say without a doubt yes. I have made almost all of the CC Showcase White kits and all of them have been excellent and definitely commercial quality. I think the white kits are closer to commercial quality than ANY red kit. Think about it, there really is not much difference between a white kit and a white wine made from fresh grapes. The only difference is they removed a gallon of water to make it lighter and cheaper to ship. Red kits and red wine made from fresh grapes BIG difference as you ferment and extract all that goodness over a week with high temps that pull solids and flavor out of the skins. Red kits are cold extracted to get the color for a few days then processed.

I have made several of the RJS En Premier whites. Again VERY satisfied. Just bottled my first WE Eclipse White, the Pinot Gris and while it is only 4 months old right now I had my first split the other day and it was very pleasing. Needs a couple more months minimum to really bring it into any type of rotation to drink. I have two more of the WE Eclipse kits waiting in the wings.

I will always go for the best quality fruit/juice every time in any white kit.

I am relatively new to all of this but what I have observed so far is that the high end kits provide more juice; generally 16L to 18L or more while the lower end kits are more like 6L to 10L. That is going to make a difference in the end product. Many of the lower end kits compensate by adding fruit flavors and sweeteners. I've made a few Orchard Breezin kits and I am convinced there is more in that "finishing blend" than just flavor and sweetener, maybe some glycerin to improve mouth feel. They are good; we like them, but they are a completely different kind of wine that say a big red.

The higher end kits can also incorporate oak and/or grape skins which, IMHO add greatly to the satisfaction of the end result.

I am on the fence with this one. I have bought a couple of high end White kits ( Ken Ridge Showcase) turn at great. But also bought some Cheeky Monkey whites - very good results and one of my favs is a World Vineyard white. So I know there is a difference in quality of taste but whether it is worth the difference in price ???

ibglowin: but are the high end whites that much better than the low end whites? That is my question. I have friends who liked my low end whites better than commercial whites that they had just tasted. (They had just come back from a wine tour in New York finger lakes region). None of us really liked my young low end reds although after tweaks and three years I have some pretty good table wine.

I contend that the difference between low and high end reds is substantial. I have no experience with high end whites, hence, my question.

I think the difference is less pronounced as with red kits, but it is undoubtedly still there. Probably the only way to know for sure yourself would be to make, for example, a lower end Chardonnay and a higher end Chardonnay from the same wine kit company (and that have similar flavor profiles, of course). I'm willing to bet you would see a difference, but the higher end kit would probably take longer to come around, as well. You can also find higher end white kits that just are not available as a lower end kit (a limited edition white blend, for example).

As for whether it is worth it, that is really up to you, your wine drinking habits, and your wine drinking experiences. If all you ever made up to this point was a high end white, you might find that trying a low end white kit proves a little disappointing. Someone who drinks casually and has only ever had cheaper commercial wines probably would not care. If you're happy with what you've made, feel free to stick with it.

In my experience all the high end kits are better, but sometimes only to a small degree. In many cases the moderately priced whites stand up to scrutiny quite well. I think the whites compare better because whites don't need to age long, if at all. My personal favorite white kit is the Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Riesling.

The high end red kits compare well to many of the better commercial reds if you let them age. I don't know of a kit wine that can go head-to-head with a top shelf commercial wine. However, paying $100 a bottle versus $7 a bottle... I would not say the difference is proportionate in the least. To compare kit reds to commercial reds at $20 bottle (or less) then I'd say the high end red kit wines typical win my vote easily.

I think Geronimo is spot on. Besides is a $100 wine that much better than a $25 wine? Yes there are wines better than others but a winery can put any price they want on a bottle. Put two exact wines together one priced at $25 and the other at $29 with a prettier label and most will choose the $29 bottle.

Wow! All this is very subjective. The only definitive answer you will ever get to your original question is to make a low end, make a high end, age them some and give 'em a try.

IMO, yes, there is going to be a difference.

Yep, agree 100% with Robie. Very subjective and the only way for each of us is to make a low/mid range kit and a high end kit and compare. If you can't taste the difference then don't pay for the difference.

I have had $25 wines that tasted like $100 wines and had $100 wines taste not much better than a $25 wine. I only pony up the big bucks after tasting the wine myself or after MUCH research online.

Yep, agree 100% with Robie. Very subjective and the only way for each of us is to make a low/mid range kit and a high end kit and compare. If you can't taste the difference then don't pay for the difference.

I have had $25 wines that tasted like $100 wines and had $100 wines taste not much better than a $25 wine. I only pony up the big bucks after tasting the wine myself or after MUCH research online.

Yep, it's all subjective. I contend after 2 or 3 bottles, the taste test gets more difficult.

I wonder if the test on Tuesday would possible taste different than the one on Friday? Well it would be aged 3 more days. Just saying.

I wonder if the test on Tuesday would possible taste different than the one on Friday? Well it would be aged 3 more days. Just saying.

HA!! Well I can tell you after many times leaving a bottle on the counter with a tasting cork in it after opening, that it changes quite a bit over 3-5 days. If you drink red wine young (like most of us kit makers do) you should try this method. It's a real eye opener.

the first whit I did was Mosti Mondaile Bourg Royal White, a 10 ltr kit. I see it on sale at fine vine wines for $60.00, not bad. George suggested it to me as his go to white for his wife. I made it and all of the white drinkers (not me) raved about it. I have a high end Mosti Meglioli $200.00ish aging now. I just tasted a sip out of the carboy (barrel fermented and aging since March 2013) this is delicious, and I exclusively drink BIG reds. Today I am racking it for a month of cold stabilizing. I really think this is going to be a knockout and will likely order this same LR kit each year.

Back