Apricot Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh.
One other thing.

On your next batch, try starting out at an sg of 1.080 to 1.090

Excessivly hight starting sugar levels can cause your final fruitwine to taste more like flavored moon shine that wine("too hot").

Pull your fruit bagat 1.025 +/- and transfer to glass at 1.010 or less tofinish out your fermentation and de-gassingin glass.

Don't forget to agatate after stabelizingso as to de-gas.

I totally agree with the lower SG. There are a lot of recipes out there with this starting high SG and Jack Keller is an awesome wine maker Im sure but I dont like the fact that he always tries to get the most alcohol out of his yeast.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice! Sorry about the size of the photos - I'll work on that before posting any more!

Wayne

I think Keller does this because he knows that he can back sweeten as long as he doesn't burn out the flavor and then again that just might be the style of wine he likes/////thats why we learn how to adjust,as well i know you know how,fruits are a fragile component and should always be treated as such there flavors are fleeting and aromas are just as touchy//to each there own////////////

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12

HandyMan,
Your apricot looks wonderful. Brings back memories of my apricot from 3 years ago. I used fresh, ripe apricots and added very fragrant rose petals to it. It was very nice....just wish I would have made more. Will have to try it again!!!

Ramona

One of the things that I'm going to start doing from now on is never again starting out my must at anything more than 1.080sg.
That seems to make a nicely balanced flavor and body against alcahol content.
Regardless of what "jack Keller" says.
smiley2.gif

Dont get me wrong, some wines will do good with a higher abv. You just have to watch out for the fruits that can be lost quickly. Black Currant wine can handle a much higher abv as its very strong flavor will come through easily.

This isthe Apricott wine.
I discovered the majic of 4 liter bottles here a while back and then to my delight, discovered the screw caps with plastic air seals inside them.
So far (this is my first use of them) they're working fine but time will tell.

What you see here amounts to four, 4 liter bottles andseven, 750ml bottles (these I usuall give away or sell)of my Apricott wine.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

20080731_061737_Apricott_2008-0.jpg
Note the clarity of the wine...(once again, no additives needed. just time)See the two750ml bottles in front. Between the two 4 liter bottles? The label you see on the 750 to the left is from the 4 liter bottle behind it.

The Apricott is now 4-1/2 months old andworking its way to 1 year but I gotta brag here a bit. It's really great. At 1.011 it's kinda like the feel of a sangria but totally aprocott.
The time in storage should smooth out the alcahol taste a bit which it could use but the over all impression was good enough to please Marcy and she's my toughest critic.

I highly recomend the apricott and it's now my favorite.

every time we make a wine we enter a different realm of thinking the same but different,may bethis or that tweak here and there its a continues learning curve, good to see your enjoying your end result handyman,need to do a swap soon//////////////////////////////

Looks great and very happy that it is to your liking. I love to hear happy endings.

Back