Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefani

Twitter: @John_A_Stefani
Reaction score
I just got the last ingredient purchased for my first 5 gallon batch of Light Bodied Apple Wine.

Here is the recipe:

7 cans of frozen Old Orchard Natural Apple Juice
5 Gallons of Water
10 lbs of Sugar
11-1/4 tsp of Acid Blend
5 tsp of Pectic Enzymes
2-1/2 tsp of Tannin
5 tsp Nutrient
5 Campden Tablets
1 package of Cote des Blancs Yeast
Later: 5 tsp Anti Oxidant

Aiming fort a S.G of 1.085 - 1.090

Last edited:
Hate to bust your bubble but 7 cans is far from enough. Shoot for at least 3-4 cans per gal

Hate to bust your bubble but 7 cans is far from enough. Shoot for at least 3-4 cans per gal

I think this should be fine for light my light bodied apple wine. It's per the recipe and this is the 4th batch. The first three were in gallons.

The recipe calls for 2 qts apple juice per gallon. Each can makes 1.5 quarts.

Errored

Instead of putting in 7.5 Tsp of acid blend, I read the wrong recipe and added 11.25 tsp of acid.

I agree with Tom, that is no where near enough juice even for a light bodied. Apple is not a strong flavor in the first place, it is more like a light bodied in itself without watering it down any more. What you are probably going to end up with is a water wine with a slight taste of apple.

And please remember recipes should be used as guidance not a rule.

I think this should be fine for light my light bodied apple wine. It's per the recipe and this is the 4th batch. The first three were in gallons.

The recipe calls for 2 qts apple juice per gallon. Each can makes 1.5 quarts.

So, 2 qts per gal means you are reducing the flavor by 1/2. Make a mix of that in a glass and drink it. You will see NO flavor.
You came here for help. We did. So please let us know how it came out with your recipe.

Being that I pitched the yeast Friday night, I though I started out too slow. By Saturday at 1:00 pm I saw no bubbling action and wasn't smelling any yeast odors like I had with my one gallon batches. I stirred it anyways. I thought it was because of the water that I used. I used 1 gallon of spring water and 4 gallons of purified water.

I didn't check it again until today 5:00 pm. There was a good amount of bubbles on the top of each bucket and had the tell tale or yeast. I should say that foam covered each bucket. I stirred it. Looks like the fermentation is well on it's way.

I'll definitely let you know about how it finishes.

After this aged this is the best wine I've made yet.

Congrats on the great wine.

May I know how much apple juice is in 1 can?

and your recipe for the secondary, apple/passion/mango. Interesting blend there!

Back