Apple wine - sludge layer floating?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteader26

Reaction score
My apple wine that is 100% apple was racked two days ago after fermenting dry .996 when it was first racked the fluid layer was at the top and only a few inches. Today some of the sludge is floating and the fluid layer is lower. The carboy has not been touched. Is this normal? ImageUploadedByWine Making1412852515.844981.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1412852525.695107.jpg

the apple particles are settling. I would rack after three days and try to keep from racking any sludge at the bottom of the carboy. The wine will not be clear you have quite a bit of apple particles floating. wait another week or so and rack again. then follow with a fining additive like Super Kleer. make sure you add SO2 at each racking.

Looks good to me. I follow Ed Worts recipe. Start it in my carboy and finish in same.

That is a lot of headspace, might want to rack next into a smaller carboy and let the yeast settle out over a couple of weeks. WVMJ

I went on vacation so sorry for the lag time. I stirred up the must and let it resettle for a few days - it went back to how the original photo looked. I racked it off the gross lees and into a 1/2 gallon carboy and a quart container to eliminate the headspace. Now the waiting game begins! Would racking again in a couple of months be a good time frame?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back