apple wine juice or cider?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsoares1831

Dennis
Reaction score
I am going to make apple wine, I was curious what people thought. Should I use cider or juice? I've hear the cider is more acidic. Is that true?

I make it with pure fresh squeezed juice. When you get done fermenting it,you will have a better wine if you add a f-pac. Last time I used a half gallon of old orchard juice in gal. I also raised the gravity some, and that compensated for the juice. Mite try a little clove and or cinnamin with it too. Apple wine is a little weak, even if you are using 100% juice. I know mine was all juice since we squeezed it ourselves. The extra juice at the end helped tremendously. Hope you have good luck with it, Arne.
That was supposed to be a half gal. of old orchard juice in 5 gal. Also had to sweeten just a little more. Arne.

Last edited:
Thanks! Just a quick question, what is an f-pac? Also, did you add any sugar? I am going to use 5 gallons of apple juice probably so I have a few bottles for next year. Thanks again

Make sure the apple juice does not have any sorbate in it. You may need to add some inverted sugar. Just check the gravity of your juice.

An f pak is a small amount of concentrated flavor of whatever wine you are making. It is added a few weeks before bottling and you normally don't need to add much if any sugar with it.

Make sure you add pectic enzyme before you add yeast.

Latest posts

Back