Apple wine flavor is off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be extra heavy on taste as I'm using maybe twice the fruit needed. With that in mind I backed off on the amount of sugar I would normally use. :db

I find apple makes a light wine even with 100% apple juice. I would not expect it to be extra heavy. But I'm sure it will be good!

Apple tree was finally ready. Shook the tree in and few minutes I filled a 5 gallon bucket. All my carboys are in use, and I'm thinking I'll just use the fermentation buckets for racking.

This will be extra heavy on taste as I'm using maybe twice the fruit needed. With that in mind I backed off on the amount of sugar I would normally use. :db

Moved the liquid to a 3 gallon glass carboy, and filled 2.5 1 gallon jugs. The small amount I tasted is encouraging. Not at all like the Apple wine of April that required post bottling flavor adjusting.

I've also 12 gallons of Elderberry and 12 gallon of Rhubarb, either fermenting still or clearing. Just guessing, I made just under 300 bottles of wine this summer. Last summer, my 1st ever, I did 32 bottles. Quite the ramp up.

The apple wine is clearing up nicely. I took a tiny sip this morning and the flavor is strong. Not bitter, but has a nice crisp edge to it. Maybe some sugar or not. But no Acid Blend needs to be added like the Apple wine I did back in April/May.

I'm finally doing something right. :db

Latest posts

Back