Apple wine close to being finished

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Al

Junior
Reaction score
My Apple wine started in Sept from fresh juice from a local farm is crystal clear & may be ready to bottling soon. Will filter it later also prior to bottling. I'm not a dry wine person & would like it a bit sweeter. Thinking about a couple cans of frozen concentrate or bottled apple juice for making it sweeter & adding more apple flavor to the mix?? White grape juice also may be considered also for the flavor. Any suggestions on the route to take & the amount for a 5 gal carboy? Would use wine conditioner but wanted more Apple flavor to it. Will need Campden or Sorbate also, as the conditioner already has this in it.

Al

I would make sure it is stabilized with the k-meta and sorbate and then add thawed frozen apple concentrate. I would add one can first and taste it. See if it has the apple you are after and check the SG. I would shoot for about 1.005-give or take a bit. If one can doesn't do it, add another. Recheck it for taste and SG. It will take a while to smooth out, but the sweetening helps it a bit. I personally would wait to filter it- unless you are sterile filtering, until after I have sweetened it. Once conditioned and sweetened, I would let it sit a couple weeks to settle in and settle out any precipitate from the concentrate. If anything is visible on the bottom, rack it to a clean carboy and then filter that.

Good luck with the wine.

I used filtered store bought apple juice in my apple wine that I reduced on the stove . when I added it it did not cloud my wine , but I waited a month just like appleman is suggesting before I bottled mine.

BOB

Its what I was thinking but nice to have it confirmed by someone that has done this before.

Yeah... I think these guys nailed it right on. But as stated before, Make sure you add k-meta and sorbate before adding anything.

K Meta for sure. Sorbate too.
I've got my apple wine clearing now too. Pretty sure I'll be making an fpack as well.
Keep us updated.

My apple is just finishing in the fermenting.... 1.002 yesterday.

I will also be doing an F-Pack.

Latest posts

Back