Apple cider/wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertwind56

Reaction score
Not sure of the difference, but I'm getting ready to make a fermented yummy apple drink. :dg

Here is the recipe I'm thinking of using:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4592

I'm planing on making 3 gallons instead of 5. So it my math skills are correct that would be:

3 gallons apple cider
1.2 lbs brown sugar
1.2 lbs honey
scant 1/4 teaspoon cloves (maybe 1/8 t?)
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1/8 teaspoon K-meta (don't have campden tablets)
1.2 teaspoons acid blend
1 teaspoons yeast energizer
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1.2 cups white raisins
.6 cup maple syrup

Okay, a couple of questions - SG should be 1.080 - 1.085, like other fruit wines? I have an acid test kit (haven't used it yet), should I test instead of just automatically adding acid blend? Again, would I want the same number as any other fruit?

Also, the recipe calls for yeast energizer - shouldn't I add yeast nutrient as well?

Okay, that was more than a couple of questions. I'm hoping to get started on this either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Right now I have peaches I need to go can. . .

Thanks!

Connie

Not sure of the difference, but I'm getting ready to make a fermented yummy apple drink. :dg

Here is the recipe I'm thinking of using:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4592

I'm planing on making 3 gallons instead of 5. So it my math skills are correct that would be:

3 gallons apple cider
1.2 lbs brown sugar
1.2 lbs honey
scant 1/4 teaspoon cloves (maybe 1/8 t?)
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1/8 teaspoon K-meta (don't have campden tablets)
1.2 teaspoons acid blend
1 teaspoons yeast energizer
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1.2 cups white raisins
.6 cup maple syrup

Okay, a couple of questions - SG should be 1.080 - 1.085, like other fruit wines? I have an acid test kit (haven't used it yet), should I test instead of just automatically adding acid blend? Again, would I want the same number as any other fruit?

Also, the recipe calls for yeast energizer - shouldn't I add yeast nutrient as well?

Okay, that was more than a couple of questions. I'm hoping to get started on this either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Right now I have peaches I need to go can. . .

Thanks!

Connie
Sg should be no higher than 1.085

Always ck TA even if you made it before It will change by the tree picked. Yes same # as other fruit .60%

Yes both energizer and nutrient increase it to 1 1/2 tsp

increase Pectic to 1 1/2 tsp

I made a similar recipe this past year....6 gallons. This stuff kicks ***. We back sweetened probalby a bit too much but still...mmmm mmmmm mmm

Would it cause any major issue if you used apple juice for this recipe instead of cider?

Could you clarify this recipe? People seem to prefer clear, especially when you tell them you made it.

Would it cause any major issue if you used apple juice for this recipe instead of cider?

Could you clarify this recipe? People seem to prefer clear, especially when you tell them you made it.

I might give this a try in the fall and was wondering about it clearing as well. Has anyone who made something like this from cider before had a problem with clarity? Thanks in advance.

I have made apple wine from 100% pure apple juice from Costco and backsweetened w/ frozen concentrate

I was wondering if I could use concentrate to backsweeten and f-pac...

Anyway, I goofed a little. I overshot the acid. Its at .70. I didn't stir as well as I should had when I did the test the first time. And I'm thinking I should of added the sugars, raisins, etc. and then done the acid test. Ah well, live and learn.

I'm not quite at 3 gallons, so I'm going to get some apple juice to top it off and hopefully that will help with the acid. SG is about 1.082 right now.

So after our Costco trip, I'll add apple juice and test everything again.

I'm also wondering if I can make a low alcohol version by just using cider and not adding sugar? Would that work? I was thinking of something that would be ready to drink a little soon (Christmas maybe?)

Thanks again!

Connie

I was wondering if I could use concentrate to backsweeten and f-pac...

Anyway, I goofed a little. I overshot the acid. Its at .70. I didn't stir as well as I should had when I did the test the first time. And I'm thinking I should of added the sugars, raisins, etc. and then done the acid test. Ah well, live and learn.

I'm not quite at 3 gallons, so I'm going to get some apple juice to top it off and hopefully that will help with the acid. SG is about 1.082 right now.

So after our Costco trip, I'll add apple juice and test everything again.

I'm also wondering if I can make a low alcohol version by just using cider and not adding sugar? Would that work? I was thinking of something that would be ready to drink a little soon (Christmas maybe?)

Thanks again!

Connie

Yes use a apple frozen concentrate for f-pac but it will not be enough to back sweeten. You need to add simple syrup for back sweetening.

You can make any level of alcohol you want. 1.085 is the HIGh end suggested. Some of the "mist" wines are lower and taste well when the f-pac is added.

This is fermenting nicely now.

On Thursday, I added apple juice to a little over three gallons. The starting SG was 1.080 and the acid was .60. Pitched the yeast that evening. Yesterday, the SG was at 1.052.

Hoping for some nice fermented yummieness :dg

Thanks again!

Connie

I've made wine from apple cider in the past. It clears up real nice. Has a rich golden color similar to apple juice when done. My recipe is similar. I back sweeten mine using an f pac from 100% apple juice not from concentrate and simmer a gallon down to just under a 1/2 for a 3 gallon batch. Brings our the apple flavor again and tastes wonderful slightly warmed when walking around on Halloween trick or treating.

Back