Apple Cider Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some going now cider bought from walmart musslemans apple cider
thus far bubbling like a champ .

Hey Milkman,

Care to share your recipe? I only tried one gallon of coder due to my newness. I added a pound of sugar and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and pitched 1118 yeast. While it did start bubbling , however slowly, it stopped in a day.

The cider I bought has Potassium sorbate and Sodium benzoate in it.

I guess it would depend on the amount of Potassium Sorbate in the juice but my experience is once you hit it with K-sorbate, you are cooked. You might try a small amount of juice as a test with a really vigorous yeast, like Premier Cuvee or EC 1118.

Last edited:
I was able to get pasturized apple cider from our local orchard. Grocery stores often carry pasturized apple cider this time of year. I'm not certain if frozen juice concentrate contains sorbate.

M-Meta is usually added the day before yeast is added to surpress any existing yeast so it's not a problem to add yeast the day after. Usually 1/4 tsp is added to 6 gallons of must.

Make sure to use your hydrometer to make sure you initial sugar concentration (specific gravity/SG) is high enough. 1.090 is a good target SG. Initial sugar content will determine your final alchohol%.

Two other items to add include:
Acid Blend: Your pH should be around 3.5. You may not have a pH meter. If not, search other recipies to see what was recommended.
Yeast Nutrient: Yeast nutrient such as Fermax along with yeast energizer are important items to add to make sure you have happy, healthy yeast.

You might also consider adding pectin.

• Add 1/4 k-meta per 6 gallons on day one
  • Add sugar to raise SG up to 1.090
  • Add acid blend to adjust pH to 3.4-3.6
  • Add yeast on day 2. It's best if you rehydrate the yeast first instead of just adding it to the must.
  • Make sure your room temp is 68-72. If you are not able to get a high enough room temp, consider a heating belt.
  • Add yeast nutrient/yeast energizer
  • Cover must with cloth
  • Stir must 3 times per day
  • Fermentation should start in two days or sooner.
  • When SG drops to 1.000 rack wine into a clean carboy. Make sure it is toped off and cover with bung and air lock.
  • After a week or so rack wine off gross lees. Make sure to top off.
  • Age wine racking several more times to get it off the lees.
  • Wine should clear on its own. It's ok to keep in a cooler invironment at thsi point. After several months, add k-meta.
  • Bulk age for 6-8 months or longer.
  • Bottle and enjoy.
This is a review of a recipe I used.

Ya i am not sure of the amount of sugar . i added till i got a sg reading of 1.085 then put small box of raisins in and half a pack of lalavin yeast.
still going good looks like it should turn out ok.the musslemans cider has vitiman c for there preservative hasnt seemed to hurt any

Latest posts

Back