apple cider - and pectic enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I have just started a single gallon batch of cider from crushed apples. The starting SG is 1.040 and so I am aiming for an ABV of about 5.1% and I am using 71B. yeast. I added nutrient and am planning to bottle this as a sparkling drink. My question: I forgot to add pectic enzyme to the must before I added the yeast. I believe but am not certain that the enzyme does not work well during fermentation. Does it make sense to add the enzyme before I add the bottling sugar? Again, I was not intending to stabilize the cider. Or should I simply forgo the pectic enzyme? I added bentonite a couple of hours after I pitched the yeast.

The bentonite should clear it. The enzyme action is thwarted by the bentonite so I would not add it.

NOthing wrong with cloudy cider, I think Scrumpy is traditionally made cloudy. If you really want it clear add if after the yeast is finished fermenting but before you prime. Bentonite is not going to remove pectic haze, I dont think there is a fining agent that can, only PE does it. What kind of apples did you use, the SG is kind of low for this time of year? WVMJ

Bentonite absorbs various protein sizes and will prevent protein haze. You might just go with your plan and see how it turns out.

NOthing wrong with cloudy cider, I think Scrumpy is traditionally made cloudy. If you really want it clear add if after the yeast is finished fermenting but before you prime. Bentonite is not going to remove pectic haze, I dont think there is a fining agent that can, only PE does it. What kind of apples did you use, the SG is kind of low for this time of year? WVMJ

The apples come from a Vermont orchard and they were precrushed and bottled when I bought the cider. Typically I make apple wine from cider (an SG of around 1.090) but this time I wanted to see what would happen if simply fermented the juice as given. I have not tested the acidity yet but was going to wait until the fermentation was over and then modify the pH to taste.
If it does not clear on its own I may add the pectic enzyme after the fermentation has stopped, but I guess my concern is whether yeast inhibits the action of the enzyme or whether the enzyme inhibits the action of the yeast. If the latter then will the addition of the enzyme prevent the cider from becoming sparkling and if the former will the yeast prevent the enzyme from working... Typically I add the enzyme to the must and then wait 12 -24 hours before pitching the yeast.

The pectinase is not going to hurt your yeast, otherwise pitching your yeast after you add pectinase wouldnt work. Did they by chance tell you what kind of apples were in the cider? WVMJ

The pectinase is not going to hurt your yeast, otherwise pitching your yeast after you add pectinase wouldnt work. Did they by chance tell you what kind of apples were in the cider? WVMJ

No , I wish. I tasted the cider before pitching the yeast and it tasted fairly complex with a mix of sweetness and tartness. I guess I am looking for a kind of traditional draught English cider flavor. Not yet been able to match it. Probably because such cider makes use of kinds of apples not easily found in the US of A.

I've been making cider like a fiend lately, and have been getting great results from commercial bottled, filtered apple juice. The best so far have been Hansen's Trifecta, Tree Top Crisp Apple Cider (unfiltered, but it settles clear), and regular Tree Top apple juice. In that order. No PE or K-meta needed.

Back