Anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenal

Reaction score
Fishing Anyone?

Love fishing?
Just a FYI shout out, the crystal coast of NC has amazing drum,trout and flounder fishing form around Oct 15 to Dec 1st.
Some of the charters will go for the easy fast half day trip and target blue fish. Trust me take the whole day inshore trip and target trout or drum. Most locations will yield some flounder as well. Carteret County to be exact. Our marsh and vast inland water ways are the perfect habitat for many species. Off shore is the bomb for predatory species like king fish, wahoo, billfishes, tuna, and countless others. Really this is sportsmen's paradise. The deal is the fall bite. The fish know to prepare for the long winter and the migration ahead.
These very hungry fish are bountiful and beautiful. Sure I stock our freezer for the winter as the same is true for my family, minus the whole migration thing.
I often release many more fish than I keep, holding out for the fattest and best eating specimens. Some may be squeamish about taking a living harvest and I understand. The natural beauty of this area and the proven methods of catch and release provide a memorable experience for the family or the crew.
For those whom choose to bring the coolers, well you won't be disappointed.
Peak is around Nov. First to tenth. Often 78 degree weather prevails still.
Easy enough to google that. Simple stay with no frills at Atlantic Beach's Fishermen's Inn (plain-cheap) or take the family to the Sheraton. Great eats and the historical Ft.Macon State Park which is a must see old original Civil War, brick and earthen fort. Then there is an amazing State Aquarium just a few miles down the beach in Pine Knoll Shores.
You guys that want a memorable fishing trip and yet take a day or so in between fishing to have quality time with the family, come see us. History is everywhere here from Blackbeard to several museums featuring island lure.
Don't forget Friday night football at West Carteret High School, we will show you southern hospitality you have always heard of.
Well I'm rambling. Y'all come see us. Warning this place is absolutely addicting. The salt the Maritime forest here on our barrier island, wild ponies?
Nuff said.

Last edited:
I love fishing but I don't get out on the waters as much as I'd like. I've been out only once this year. We have a small lake fifteen minutes from town that we go to that's filled with jack and walleye. I have never caught a fish in my life, though! I've caught three clams, somehow. Even so, it's fun and relaxing to kick back with a couple friends and a few beers on the waters. Even better when someone brings home a couple nice fishies for the grill.

Fishing report

Well first of all YES I have had a little data on that grand old vine.
Now for the fishing.
I went yesterday Sept.30th. I expect an exceptional fishing season.
Yesterdays catch was not quantity but it was Quality. The cold front did not get here until today so I was a day early. I did however catch the largest
spotted sea trout (Spec) I have ever caught in the month of Sept. Perhaps 2.5 lbs 18 to 20 inches. Niceum as we would say here. Loads of fresh water due to a week of constant rain, has us fishing the very mouth of the inlets were marsh cover is not as prolific. During the next month our inland estuaries will be filling up with these hungry critters. Every marsh line will potentially be a hotbed of activity.
Ya'll come see us
OH and by the way West Carteret Patriots HS played Jacksonville HS ( Home of Camp Lejune ) With 12 min. remaining and Jacksonville leading 27 to 12, West Carteret HS tied it up and won in OVERTIME. OH Ya! Now 7 & 0 undefeated in triple A footballs here in Coastal NC.
I attended the game after 11 hours on the water, did I mention I had a good day yesterday?

Last edited:
I love fishing and will be out tonight and all tomorrow morning if it doesnt pour here later. Ill be going for Blues later tonight and then hopefully get into some Stripers later or should I say early in the morning. I try to go salt water fishing at least once during the week after work for about 6 hours and then a 14-16 hour trip on the weekend. Its my stress relief!!!!! I really havent been able to do any fresh water fishing lately as its just been raining raining raining lately and the rivers just will not recede from at or above flood stage here and I dont have access to any boats here to fish and lakes. Your area is where I would most likely move to if I could afford to get out from under this mortgage which due to this crappy economy has turned my mortgage upside down pretty bad.

Inland Summer fishing

Can be slow with perhaps Drum fishing the exception.
Offshore is where the action is out in the Gulf Stream.
I have a 19ft flat bottom fiberglass skiff and so offshore is not by standard.
Fuel costs make that fishing a occasional treat with a neighbor or something.
But inside fish range from enormous Cobia in April, May and early June to the simple Spot that attracts everyone in the state for a few weeks this time of the year. We had to navigate around dozens of those boats, anchored in the channels yesterday while they filled their coolers with what was often two at a time. Folks stock the freezer with these small frying fish and it's quite good.
I'm a lifetime NC state fisherman so my permanent license allows fresh or salt water species.
Summer is too blinking hot to fish hook and line, but night time allows cooler Flounder gigging. Only 6 per night per person though. Another excellent source of table fare. We love to to stew them with taters, onions, bacon or whatever one likes. They actually bake in the oven so stewed is a little misleading.
Ya'll come see us

I like to fish in good wether and have a freezer flu of venison for the bad. Nothing wrong with hunting or gathering.

Come git u sum

If ya get tired of red meat, the seafood will be here. ;)
:fsh

Latest posts

Back