Any thoughts on a firsty?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmust

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there everybody. I'm new here and to the craft but have been reading everything I can. I've been in denial for too long and have given in to my desire to make some wine and finally stepped up to the table.. I've bought some equipment & carboys, preparing to make an order with George for the restand would like any thoughts on a first kit to make. I like to keep an open mind but REALLY like the reds. I've been to a number of (mostly)washingtonwinery's but not a snob...but do know and can appreciate good wine. I want to order a Red Mountin Cab but don't think I should start off with it as my first kit. I'll be getting my order in soon for a couple kits and my equipment. All ideas / thoughts are welcome...

I just made a Red Zinfandel. It's clearing now and has a lot of promise.
Check out the RJS or Cellar Craft kits. Their directions seem to make the most sense to me.

You can start off with what ever you want as we can help you through it but if your looking for something to drink fast then this is not a kit to rush as red wines need some aging to become what they need to be. A white wine will shine much faster as they dont need much aging time. Either way the kit will be just as easy to make. Make sure you start a red wine quick though so that you can get it aging now.

Thanks guys, I do find myselflooking at the Cellar Craft more often than others but also wonder about some of the smaller kits. Do the grape packs make it really any harder? I imagine the wine is better with them..

Wade you've read my mind on getting the reds going...thats why I'm ordering it with my first. Just thought I should get my fingers wet on something maybe a little quicker to drink and a good first step.
How are the Vinefera Noble kits?

Can anybody tell me how to get my location a little closer to home?

Take a look at the Mosti Renascence kits, all have received good reviews here and are a fairly quick drinker. If I was starting over again I would make a white first cause you really want to taste something you've made. Then make a big red like the CC Red Mt. Cab, then make a Renascence red, then make another big red. The white will be ready pretty quickly and you can enjoy it while you are making the rest. The Renascence Red will be drinkable in 6 months but gets better and better.
You should give George a call at the store and he can guide you to the right kits. Also that a look in the "How to section" on making kits with grape packs. They are actually pretty easy to make as are most kits.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks vcasey

I should correct myself, I was looking at the Renascence kits. Any idea how they might compare to the CC premiums? Any favorites on the Mosti Reds? or the CCs?

I don't think 6 months or longer will be too hard for wait time....

The grape packs will leave you with a nice chewy wine with more tannins them most without. There are some good kits that dont include raisins or grape packs that make a big red wine but they are few and far between if you ask me.

Jump in the fire..... start out with the red mountain cab. You will be fine, watch Georges video's, have them avalible as you are doing the steps, ask for advise here as you go, and make your first kit a great one!!! IMO

Having made both the smaller 10-12 litre kits and the premium 16-18L kits, I can say that there is not much difference in making either size kits. The procedure is the same for both sized kits.

That being said, I started out with the smaller Cellar Craft 12L red wine kits with grape skins. George sells them. See this link: http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListCC12.asp

I made the Cellar Craft Barbera Global Cuvee which turned out very nice. Either way you decide, you can not go wrong with Cellar Craft.

Robert

I have made the Renascence Amarone and its fantastic and I've made the All Juice Masters Rojo Encantando also fantastic. Cellar Craft also makes a terrific product and I've made several of their kits. Also take a look at Spagnols Winery Series, I understand those are some very good kits. Lots of great choices you just need to be willing to be patient and since white wines are faster, I try to suggest that someone starts with one of those and it also gives you the confidence to move toward the other kits.

Both the Renaissance kits as well as the CC Showcase kits recommend a minimum of 6 months aging time. I was about to order an inexpensive lower end kit when I first started and at the last minute I switched it out for the CC Red Mountain Cab. All I can say is WOW, I am glad I did.

I bottled it a couple of months ago at 7 months bulk aging and it was incredible. I won't be opening up the first until this Summer. Outside of spilling your entire kit on the floor you just about can't mess up a kit. They are very forgiving. Just read and follow the instructions, ask questions here. Watch George's videos. and you'll do just fine.

You can't go wrong with any of the Renaissance kits. They are all very good and all are on sale till the end of the month.

Get a red going (or two) and then get a white going. Whites are prety much good to go at 3 months but 6 months they are twice as good!

Bottom line is you are rewarded for your patience in whatever you make!

Oh and Welcome to the forums!
smiley32.gif

If you don't want to wait long to drink, maybe start with a smaller red, or even a white.They tend to be good drinkers faster.And if you go this route and can afford it, definetely get a higher end red going now and let it sit.

And don't use water to top off even though the directions say you can. Use a like wine. I feel that they left my earlier wines really thin....

Enjoy

"Thin"ness is the usual concern, and there are some ways of trying to deal with it. Like Wade said, the grape skins/raisins in the higher end kits are one of the simplest and logical way of "fattening" up your red wines.

Whatever you go with (lower or higher end), you should know that it will get better after several months in the bottle. A few are just not very good at 1 -3 months, but will grow into a great wine in a year or so. Most are ok to pretty good right away, but even the white improve with some age.

I have moved up to higher end skins red kits because I was not satisfied with the lower to mid range red kits. Whites is a different story. I believe there are some very good whites in the middle range kits. As Mike said, the kits are rather forgiving but you do have several actions that will affect the flavor of the final product. Regardless of which kit you choose, degassing properly is in my opinion one of the most important things to do. CO2 left in solution is known to adversely affect the flavor of wine.

Thanks everybody for the tips... finally got my order into George today.
There are soooo many kits to choose from, I can see why this can easily become an obsession, addiction or just down right serious life passion. I like the suggestion of wild duk's to add like wine to top off, is this a common practice? sure makes sense to me.
Been reading this for a short time, you guys seem like a great bunch.

So, enquiring minds want to know what you went with!

Topping off with a like wine is quite common as is racking to a smaller carboy or carboys. Some use marbles as well to take up space and lift the volume level up to the top. Only add water if its a small amount. If you need more like a bottle or two then use a like wine if you don't want to go any of the other routes.

Red Mountin Cab was a no brainer - been to a few wineries down there.
Also got the vn Caberlot.... I know, but I couldn't resist the sale price for starter and figured I need a base line...
smiley12.gif

I do have a couple Mexican made 6 gallons and a couple 5's already waiting to get started with... 1 gallon jugs are on the list to get soon.

An excellent choice!

BTW, my better half hails from Kent, WA. We are planning a trip back home this Summer and will drop down to the Yakima valley for a few days of touring some of the WA AVA's in the area including the Red Mountain Mecca.

Can't wait!
smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back