Other Any suggestions welcome!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saylor

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a reserve du chateau Chilean cab/ merlot mix kit . I was wondering what I could add to my mesh bag to increase flavor/body. I have already used raisins so anything other than that. Also I will be cutting the batch to 5-5.5 gal. Also how much to add and procedure . Thanks!

Saylor, depending on your taste, there are a number of fruits that you can add to the bag. I like a lot of berry flavor in my Cabernet/Merlot blends so I add blackberry puree. What fruits do you like? Raspberry? Blueberry? If you are using a canned puree, just dump it in the bag (I keep the bag in a large pot to catch any juice and then add the juice to the wine also). If you are using fresh fruit, look for very ripe (not spoiled) fruit, warm the fruit in a pot and mash it lightly with a potato masher and then add it to the bag, again capturing the juice. Make sure to give the bag a good squeeze a couple of times per day during primary.

Some people add bananas to increase body and mouth. I have never tried this and perhaps someone else will weigh in on that.

I racked my Chilean Cab/Merlot last night. It's only 40 days old but felt a little thin. It was pretty fruit-forward too, but I've learned that even with these cheap kits it takes time for them to calm down and mature into something drinkable.

I made my kit to 5.5 gallons. No, scratch that, I just read my notes and I made it to 6 gallons -- against the advice that I give everyone who makes these kits. I added two pounds of raisins, 1/2 tsp tanin, 2 tsp pectic enzyme, 4 oz French and American oak. Starting SG 1.085. Ending SG 0.994.

So, yeah, 6 gallons was a bad idea and that explains my disappointment last night.

Don't be too disappointed in it yet, it's still young. I found with the "cheap" kits, age certainly helps.I age mine at least a year and they definitely taste better than at 3 months like a lot of kits say to age.Just add a bit of k-meta to it ,put it away and forget about it.The raisons and oak you added should help.

How do they do that?
happy0199.gif

Has to be Alchemy!

I've added food grade glycerin to add body in the past. Mostly to fruit wines, but it should work for kits as well I think. This is an option to use on the backend if you find it too thin.

I've used the glycerin in a few kits but you really have to be careful not to add too much because it also changes the feel of the wine in your mouth

Hey all!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I think I'm gonna go the berry route.

Back