Any point adding camden tablets to Low end wine kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
I've completed fermentating a magnum ultimate pinot grigio wine kit.

sg was 1.085 and ended with 0.992

I've added the finings and it's clearing now.

Is there any point adding camden tablets to low quality wines that are nearly ready to drink from the bottle once bottled.

third ever wine kit so far and stocks are finally starting to build.

:a1

Campden is used as a preservative, so if you are going to suck it all down quickly, then no...no point in adding extra campden.

The Winexpert kit instructions for the select and higher quality kits say that you need to add 1/4 tsp of metabisulfite if you plan to keep the wine more than 6 months. I'd say you are ok up to about a year. If you plan to keep any of it longer than that you should add extra metabisulfite. Either powdered form or tablet form is okay.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

well this is my third kit in as many months.
I do keep 2 bottles from every kit produced to see what they will be like in 6-12 months as a experiment.
I want to see the difference in taste after allowing the wines to breathe.
I've another question though.

I've added the last of the finings and the wine is settling in the carboy.
how long should it take to clear?

it's been 2 days now and i've tried the torch test on the other side to see if it's clear but still not.

how long do most people allow for the wine to clear?

well this is my third kit in as many months.
I do keep 2 bottles from every kit produced to see what they will be like in 6-12 months as a experiment.
I want to see the difference in taste after allowing the wines to breathe.
I've another question though.

I've added the last of the finings and the wine is settling in the carboy.
how long should it take to clear?

it's been 2 days now and i've tried the torch test on the other side to see if it's clear but still not.

how long do most people allow for the wine to clear?

6 - 12 months is just when the wine finally gets good. 24 - 30 months is about as good as most kit wines get.

I let mine clear 90 days, so I am at about 6 months when bottling. I also filter a week or so before bottling.

I've completed fermentating a magnum ultimate pinot grigio wine kit.

sg was 1.085 and ended with 0.992

I've added the finings and it's clearing now.

Is there any point adding camden tablets to low quality wines that are nearly ready to drink from the bottle once bottled.

Does your kit come with an fpack to back sweeten the wine?

the kit comes with a stabilizer and 2 fining agents

chitosan and Kiselsol

I wouldn't wait 6 months for the wine to clear as it is just a wine kit and not made from fresh fruit.

the kit comes with a stabilizer and 2 fining agents

chitosan and Kiselsol

I wouldn't wait 6 months for the wine to clear as it is just a wine kit and not made from fresh fruit.

All my wines sit a minimum of 6 months...

Is there any point adding to low quality wines that are nearly ready to drink from the bottle once bottled.

You do not need camden tablets. Your kit came with metabisulfite and that is all you need unless you plan to age in the carboy for more that 6 mo. Once in the bottle you are good:db

Latest posts

Back