Cellar Craft Any Columbia Valley Cab Kits???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done the WE Eclipse Lodi Cabernet and bottled a few months ago. It is excellent and exceeded my expectations. No doubt this will be my go-to Cab kit from now on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

I would second that motion. My WE Eclipse Lodi Cab is much younger than my Red Mountain, but they are both very good. The Lodi will be a year old in June - can't wait.

Did I miss it? I don't think I read anyone recommend the Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sauv:fsh

I think tonyt did.

I have done the WE Eclipse Lodi Cabernet and bottled a few months ago. It is excellent and exceeded my expectations. No doubt this will be my go-to Cab kit from now on.

Just to be clear to the OP, however: Lodi, of course, is not in Washington.

Ok, update here.. I put the CC Cab Kit in the Vadai barrel yesterday, and to my disappointment it didn't even produce enough to fill it, much less top off. I had to put an entire bottle of something from my cellar to fill the barrel. The eclipse kit I did left me with nearly a full bottle for topping off.

Ok, update here.. I put the CC Cab Kit in the Vadai barrel yesterday, and to my disappointment it didn't even produce enough to fill it, much less top off. I had to put an entire bottle of something from my cellar to fill the barrel. The eclipse kit I did left me with nearly a full bottle for topping off.

I am curious: What do you suppose the difference was due to? Compactness of lees? (Did you use the same yeast?) Different amounts of liquid left in the grape pack? Hard to imagine what could account for the difference....

I am curious: What do you suppose the difference was due to? Compactness of lees? (Did you use the same yeast?) Different amounts of liquid left in the grape pack? Hard to imagine what could account for the difference....

Not really sure, I used the same yeast on all of them, the CC kit uses different fining agents and is only a 40-45 day kit... I was very surprised, after clearing the carboy was beyond the 5g mark, not quite to the 6, there was a good deal of sediment. I'd expected the barrel to take less, figuring the first batch would get soaked up by a new barrel (that's why I made two of them). I'm sure the Cab v. Zin had something to do with it also...

Hope yours is coming along nicely. I bottled mine a couple days ago and am tremendously excited. This is clearly the best wine I have made to date. I don't detect any kit taste (unlike my other reds) and it is big and full-bodied and not shy on the nose with blackberry, black currant and a discernible hint of orange peel and vanilla (mine was on the included 100g of Hungarian oak cubes for 10-11 weeks). I'm definitely sold on CC Showcase and look forward to several more this next year.

I aged mine in the vadai for ~8 weeks, it is awesome, vanilla is the strongest character that seems to come from my barrel, I never really get a dark/oaky/toasted test... Even my Shiraz came out vanilla and less oaky that I expected.. and I aged it for 4 weeks with heavy toast french spirals, then put it in the barrel for 2 weeks, with the spirals before bottling..

the only kit I've done that is better is the Willamette Valley Pinot Noir... from the time it was done it was perfect, I may even get another.. I did it with 2 med toast american oak spirals in from start to finish... no barrel

I would second that motion. My WE Eclipse Lodi Cab is much younger than my Red Mountain, but they are both very good. The Lodi will be a year old in June - can't wait.

Yeah I did 2 of those kits, the first was made just to top of the barrel aging for the 2nd.. the 2nd was much better, but of all the wines I've done so far these are in the most need of aging (for my taste).. I love a good OV Zin, but I like them a little more "dark and spicy" than this kit seemed to produce.. hoping some again will add some complexity..

Man, just racked the Red Mountain Cab into secondary and even as a wee babe I can tell how much potential this has. Dark color, pretty firm tannins too (in primary for 11 days). Hurry up March 2015!

Opened my first 750ml of this guy a couple days ago. I opened the bottle 24 hours before testing it. It was even better the second day (though it wouldn't have lasted except I forgot about it). The nose is not overly expressive, some blackberry, black currant and after lots of air a hint of citrus. The flavor on this high-end red after 13 months however, is impressive! Loads of dark fruit, licorice, then slipping into that orange-peel type character. Medium-plus body, medium acidity, good mouthfeel and medium-plus smooth/chalky tannins (I added some Tan'cor Grand Cru finishing tannins). Yum!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back