Cellar Craft Any Columbia Valley Cab Kits???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
I've got 2 batches of Lodi Old Vine Zin brewing and I want to do a Cab next... in the last 3-4 years Washington / Columbia Valley has been producing better grapes (from what I"m reading and tasting...)

So All I've found in the way of "more north" Cab is the Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab and the Cab/Shiraz Yakima.. either I think I'd be ok with, but I'm wondering if I have missed anything??..

I'd really love to get some grapes from CV if I could but I can't seem to find anyone selling them, so if you know? Please share...

Thanks!!!

Thanks, odd, none of my local shops seem to have the Cellar Craft either.. I sense a consipiricy :wy

Thought I'd update, I ordered the Red Mountain Cab from morewinemaking.com.. I'll be starting it this weekend, it will be the 2nd batch to go into my barrel (following and OV Zine, Eclipse Kit).

Thought I'd update, I ordered the Red Mountain Cab from morewinemaking.com.. I'll be starting it this weekend, it will be the 2nd batch to go into my barrel (following and OV Zine, Eclipse Kit).

That's a good one!

I've got 2 batches of Lodi Old Vine Zin brewing and I want to do a Cab next... in the last 3-4 years Washington / Columbia Valley has been producing better grapes (from what I"m reading and tasting...)

So All I've found in the way of "more north" Cab is the Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab and the Cab/Shiraz Yakima.. either I think I'd be ok with, but I'm wondering if I have missed anything??..

I'd really love to get some grapes from CV if I could but I can't seem to find anyone selling them, so if you know? Please share...

Thanks!!!

BOTH of the CC cab and shiraz are excellent!!! The Red Mountain Cab is bold, upfront, and peppery!!! I love it!!

Do the CC showcase kit's drop diamonds... I'm done all my EP kit's and looking for something different

Sent from my ADR6400L using Wine Making mobile app

Do the CC showcase kit's drop diamonds... I'm done all my EP kit's and looking for something different

I just bottled a CC Showcase Old Vin Zinfandel that had been bulk-aged at about 55-60 deg for 2.5 months. There was a moderate dusting of diamonds on the bottom of the carboy at bottling time.

So I started the it today, quick question, I'm putting this in my vadai barrel to age it (it will be the 2nd batch in the barrell).. so I didn't put in the oak powder during initial fermetation? Though I'm thinking I could? It came with 1 bag of medium and 1 heavy French oak. it also has cubes (which I won't use for sure). Thoughts? I love the oak flavor but I don't want to ruin the wine?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Wine Making mobile app

My understanding with chips in primary is that they are more about body, mouthfeel and tannin than oak flavor. I use them and a Vadai, but skip the cubes that many kits include for the clearing/aging phase.

I agree with Jim. Save those cubes for when your barrel is neutral though!

Man, just racked the Red Mountain Cab into secondary and even as a wee babe I can tell how much potential this has. Dark color, pretty firm tannins too (in primary for 11 days). Hurry up March 2015!

Last edited:

Thanks!!!

I can tell you that I have made both the Old Vine Zin and Mountain Cab and they are my favorite!! These are my go to Reds. And for special occasions, the Barolo.

Man, just racked the Red Mountain Cab into secondary and even as a wee babe I can tell how much potential this has. Dark color, pretty firm tannins too (in primary for 11 days). Hurry up March 2015!

It is my all time favorite Cab, by far.

And if you needed any more convincing, MoreWine! has it on sale for $20 off if you use the code WINEDEAL (see their homepage). That's $126 + shipping folks!

damn, mine's already cleared and going in the barrel next week.. oh well, I guess I could get another? :)...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Wine Making mobile app

Did I miss it? I don't think I read anyone recommend the Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sauv:fsh

I have done the WE Eclipse Lodi Cabernet and bottled a few months ago. It is excellent and exceeded my expectations. No doubt this will be my go-to Cab kit from now on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Latest posts

Back