Antique Carboys or Demijohns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karrlot

Reaction score
At a local antique store I found a turquise carboy that looks to be about 5 gallons (maybe a little smaller). I assume it is antique because there are a lot of bubbles in the glass.

Assuming there are no chips or cracks, are there any problems with using very old glass carboys or demijohns? Anything I should watch out for?

I remember hearing that lead oxide was used in old glass. It might be prudent to stay away and use it as decoration only. Unless of course you're aging a paint chip pinot noir...

I would be a little carful about this. The glass is being sold as an antique and not specifically for winemaking. If you were to fill it, and find that it was not suitable, then I doubt you could either exchange or return it. The other problem is (like said before) lead content or how to get the glass clean enough to use (without damaging it).

Instead of an antique, I would put my money on a new carboy. I know that the "coolness factor" is not as high, but I believe that it will be better for you in the long run.

Latest posts

Back