Other Another topping up question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I recently started an EP Chardonnay and a KR Tempranillo Garnacha. On stage 2, both say to transfer to carboy and do not top up. My carboys are the big Italian ones and that much headspace makes me nervous so I top up with about 2 bottles of like wine. My racking technique has improved and I lose very little now but still have 1.5-2 bottles space.

I assumed not topping up meant not with water. But now I wonder if I should not have topped up at all, left the headspace until dry, and waited to top up when I racked and stabilized.

I have topped up about 7 kits now in secondary and again later if needed. But I have yet to taste any of them.

Thoughts please.

I'm not sure what stage 2 is. IF it is still finishing fermentation, the CO2 being produced should protect it. So, in that case topping up isn't really necessary until the next racking. But if you added wine to top up, it should not hurt anything.

secondary fermentation

I'm not sure what stage 2 is.
I assume stage 2 is what the kit makers call secondary fermentation. We all know there is no secondary fermentation, but if the kit makers call it that, lets assume it is in the lexicon.:ft

Back