WineXpert Another stuck chocolate rasberry port fermentation - please help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevetz

Junior
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice from the group.

I have a double batch of WE Chocolate Raspberry port in the secondary. I read the threads and kept the temperature high in the temperature range and stirred everyday but the fermentation is stuck at 1.022 and won't budge (post capitalization) for over a week.

It is time to stabilize but the taste is quite sweet already before the fpac addition.
I could add a single fpac but I am concerned that the chocolate and raspberry flavorings from a single pac won't be enough for a 6 gallon batch. If I add both, I am concerned the finished port will be way too sweet.

I read that some people have added half of an fpac to the primary on other kits to reduce sweetness. While this clearly won't work now due to the high alcohol level of the port - is it possible to get some yeast and ferment one of the fpacs on its own before adding? If so, it seems like this would be the best way to maintain the intended sugar/alcohol/flavor balance.

Since this is a double batch, I want to do everything possible to get it right. If my solution above won't work, what would you recommend?

Kevin

First of all, welcome to the group. It appears you have been here reading for a while and just now posting, great. Just because I am anal about it, the word is chapitalization not capitalization, don't forget the "h". Are you saying you added additional sugar to chapitalize the batch? If so you might have exceeded the alcohol range of your yeast. I really doubt you can ferment the fpac without watering it down a lot because the sugar content is way to high to start a fermentation.

Maybe you can answer the question about adding additional sugar first.

This is Jack Keller's method of starting a stuck fermentation if you have not already exceeded your alcohol level by chapitalization.

Stuck Fermentation: A stuck fermentation is one that has started and then stopped prematurely. This is usually caused by a lack of nutrients or acid, but not sugar, or a change in temperature disagreeable to the yeast.

When a fermentation sticks, you need to begin taking measurements of the must to determine what the problem is. Often these will reveal an obvious problem--very low acid, for example--but on rare occasions there may be several things wrong and none of them obvious. Always correct an acid deficient must with acid blend as opposed to citric or tartaric acid alone. It doesn't hurt to add yeast nutrient (1/2 teaspoon per gallon of must) and yeast energizer, too (1/4 teaspoon per gallon of must is sufficient).

After correcting perceived deficiencies and bringing the must to 70?F., wait three days for the fermentation to restart. If it does not, set aside 1/2 cup of must and add to it a cup of warm (100?F.) water. Over this sprinkle a good yeast known to do well at restarting stuck fermentations, such as Red Star Premier Curvee (also known as Prise de Mousse) or Lalvin K1-V1116 (also known as Montpellier). Cover the sample and allow up to two days to begin fermenting (it will probably start fermenting within hours, but give it time if it doesn't). When the fermentation is vigorous in the sample, add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and another 1/2 cup of must from the bulk batch. Stir the sample to dissolve the nutrient, recover, and set aside about 6 hours. If fermentation is still vigorous, add another 1/2 cup of must, recover, and wait 6 hours. If fermentation is still vigorous, gently add half the starter to the bulk must so the starter sort of lays on top of the must. Do not stir. Wait 24 hours and stir shallowly. Wait another 24 hours and stir deeply. If must does not ferment with starter added, add another 1/2 cup to the remaining starter and recover. After 6 hours, add another 1/2 cup of must. Wait 6 hours and follow directions for adding to bulk must.

Oops - autocorrect deleted the 'h' and I didn't catch it.

I added the sugar provided in the kit per the directions once the SG dropped to 1.018. This increased the SG to 1.035 and the fermentation continued. Instructions say to stabilize below 1.01 but it got stuck at 1.022.

I suspect that you are right about the alcohol level killing the yeast, but I am concerned that the higher SG will throw off the batch. Any advice is appreciated.

Ok so your ABV is (1130-1018 )+(1035-1022)=125x.131 or 16.38%. That is rather high, EC1118 peaks out at about 18%. You might be able to restart it using EC1118 and Jack Keller's method. What I would do, and this is just me, is add the fpac slowly until I got to the taste level I was looking for, then I would add enough Everclear or brandy to get the ABV up to about 20%. The increased alcohol will help offset some of the sweetness. I have made port style wines with brandy and Everclear and to be honest I prefer Everclear. I can get 190 proof so it doesn't take as much as it does with brandy and does not affect the flavor as much.

Other than these suggestions I am out, maybe others will chime in.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you have reached the magic sticking point for this kit :) we've done it twice and both times it got stuck at 1.020 shortly after we chaptalized it. Based on our experience you are not likely to restart it no matter what you do to it. Anything you add is more likely to hurt the taste than it is to restart fermentation.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sweetness. Port is suppose to be sweet anyway. We fortified our last 3 gallon batch with 16 oz of of 180 proof Everclear. If I did the math right the resulting ABV should be about 18.5%. We opened a bottle recently about a year after we started the batch. It tasted great. The alcohol balanced out the sugar nicely.

I've done a lot of research on this kit. Next time I make it I'll do the following:

1) Divide the extra sugar into thirds and spread the chaptalizing out over several days. A sudden sharp rise in the sugar level is hard on the yeast. Spreading out the sugar additions smooths this out. Plus if it gets stuck along the way there will be less unfermented sugar.
2) Stir or rock the wine daily toward the end to drive out the CO2. High CO2 levels are toxic to yeast
3) Toward the end, elevate the temperature a little above the top of the range in the instructions and don't let it fluctuate.

These steps won't help you now but they might help other people who haven't started to chaptalize yet.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back