Other Another rookie mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
Oh no, I keep the plastic package containing the oak cubes, fining agents, etc, on top of the fermenting bucket of the corresponding must. When I went to lift the lid to stir and squash the grape pack, the pack FELL IN!

I hope it will be ok.

your not alone.
bout a week ago i had a peach blush started, reached over head to get some armor all for my car, and it fell in the bucket, and the lid was off...
had to toss the whole batch.....
***** happens

I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you fished it out fairly quickly I would think that the environment in the must will be unfriendly enough to inhibit the blossoming of bacterial cultures given the action of the yeast in making the environment suitable for their own growth: acidity and alcohol are unfriendly to bacteria. And realize we are not working in a surgically sterile environment. We sanitize equipment that comes into contact with the must and the wine. we don't sterilize equipment. I would not lose any sleep over this.

The wine should be fine. It takes a lot more than that to ruin a batch of wine.

James, you shouldn't have thrown yours out, it would have been ok as well.

Wine is a lot more forgiving than you would think.

Thanks guys. I got it out very quick. I feel better.

James you should have kept it. If it didn't taste good at least you could detail your car with it. Nice peach fragrance too!

Julie, I think you may have read it wrong:ft James added ArmorAll to his wine:ts
"reached over head to get some armor all for my car, and it fell in the bucket, and the lid was off..."

yelp, armor all wine...sure turned colors fast, i ended up not even cleaning the bucket, i was afraid the smell of armor all was still in it, and buckets are cheap.
i have nothing overhead anymore.

How does one describe Armour All in the tasting notes?

Broge, yours will be fine. Julie is right, it takes more that a few cooties to ruin a batch of wine. Especially in the primary.

yelp, armor all wine...sure turned colors fast, i ended up not even cleaning the bucket, i was afraid the smell of armor all was still in it, and buckets are cheap.
i have nothing overhead anymore.

james, you may have been onto a new craze with armor all wine.

"Armor All wine.......will shine you inside and out"

Back