another question for the big dogs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg7mm

Reaction score
couple months back i made a blackcherry mist kit from niagra mist. the wine is a beautiful sweet mixture with great blackcherry flavor. these kits ( all niagra kits) are listed as having only 7% alcohol. can i add sugar to another kit i just recieved and follow instructions as directed to increase alcohol levels? if i do add sugar should i also add yeast nutrients/energizer?

we love this wine over ice. a great pool party favorite but we would like to add some kick to it. the first batch is alomost gone and i would like to get the second kit going in the next couple days. any recommendations would be much appreciated

Bud

Bud, yes you can add sugar now. I would make up a simple syrup and add enough sugar to take it up to about 1.085-1.09sg. Stir it in very well.

The added alcohol will probably make it taste differently. The kits flavor was intended to be "as-built".

The added alcohol will probably make it taste differently. The kits flavor was intended to be "as-built".

Not really, well actually, I believe they tasted more like wine than kool-aid once the alcohol was up around 10%. I have done this in the past to the blackberry cab.

I've added 3-5# in various IM kits. I like the 3# best. The ones with 5# added finished with an edge that takes several months to subside. Still very good, and like Julie says, they are more like wine. The sweetness is pushed back a bit - a good thing!

I've added sugar to both of the Mist kits I've made. They come out just fine.

I did a mist kit and sugared up to 1.087ish and everyone loves it. It was my first batch so expectation could have been low.

I did the mist kit and added sugar to up the abv to 11%. Everyone loves it. These are "early drinkers". It didn't taste like rocket fuel at all. Very fruity. Enjoy!

In my house it is standard operating procedure to bump up the ABV to about 11% on all the summer wines. Don't worry about it getting out of balance at that ABV.

Oh ya ... 10-11% is where we try to get with those, but never higher. I think it would either ruin the taste or be 'hot'.

I did the Niagra Mist Blackberry Malbec a few months back. I added about 1.5 Kilograms of Cornsugar It think it was. It brought the SG to about 1.075 so I think around 10% abv. I have to say I was surprised It was drinkable right away, and tasted great. I will be trying another flavor very soon.

if you slowly add half the F pack while the wine is in the peak of ferment (say start ading a little at a time once the wine is 25% dry and stir like mad with each addition )
you can get half the f pack to ferment , this will bump the alcohol up a bit and make the wine a little less sweet.

add the other half of the f pack once the wine is stable as you normaly would.

Last edited:
adding it a little at a time reduces the risk of a stuck ferment and the timeing of 25% of the way into the ferment ensures there is a huge yeast population to digest it.

the fpack contains some sorbate so if you add it at the beggining and there is something else slowing the yeast down like a cold temperature you could get a stuck ferment. especialy if you don't hydrate your yeast first and just sprinkle it on top like the instructions say.

you will get away with adding it all a the beginning most of the time. but by adding it as I suggest , you will be less likely to have problems.

Latest posts

Back