Another project for the tinkerers.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDBOATNY

Reaction score
If you get bored, and have extra bottles lying around, I made up this bottle cutting jig to make some neat glasses from wine and beer bottles.

The jig scores the bottle with a nice straight line. Next you heat the scored area with a hot air gun, the plunge into cold water to part the bottle. It sometimes takes a couple tries. Finish with a diamond stone (harbor freight $14 for three grits).

It does require a little practice, especially the heating of the bottle. It doesnt need to be real hot.
Please be careful.

0105131126.jpg

0105131127.jpg

0105131127a.jpg

0105131127b.jpg

Seems like you got a bad case of cabin fever.

Just kidding. What a great idea. I could supplement my retirement making those and selling them at festivals and such.

Where did you get the glass cutter?

Are the inside of the lip sharp at all ?
I really like the idea !! I just dont want to cut myself while I am drinking !!

Got the glass cutter from amazon. I used a small diamond stone on the edges followed by 400 grit wet sanding. No sharp edges.

That's an awesome idea! How much do you have invested in the whole setup?

i love the idea, do tell, can you post links to the equipment? I wonder if one could rig a slow speed drill to the casters to automate the setup.

Redboat, really neat set up. I have seen some very nice light fixtures made from either wine or beer bottles where the bottom of the bottle is cut off, a socket is fed through the opening and a bulb is installed. I have seen one and multi-bottle types used in home bars, wine cellars, etc. Maybe you could give that a try.

Redboat, I like it! I bought the entire kit on Amazon for less than $30 for my wife. One cool idea is cutting 3-4 bottles at different heights and use different colors. The set a votive candle under each bottle (standing upright) in the center of your table when you have guests for dinner. Set all four bottles in a group close together.

We hold the bottle in boiling water then set it in ice cold water just about an inch or two above the score mark.

What kit? I'm interested and want to do it! Lol

Also what does the boiling water to cold water do exactly?

That's an awesome idea! How much do you have invested in the whole setup?
I think the glass cutter was about $8. Everything else I had lying around. Try to find a carbide wheel cutter it will cut nicer and longer.
It would also be best to empty the bottles on a different day than you will be cutting them. If you do a search on you tube, on this subject you can see why. Lots of methods, limited results. Good entertainment though.

Brilliant! I love it! Probably wont do it as my wife would find it tacky but I like it!

Imma look for a glass cutter on Amazon or something and build this, a cut wine bottle would make a perfect size glass! I'm so baffled at how neat this is.. Lol I'm a dork..

I got bored last night and gave this a try with a little variation. I used LockTite glass glue.
2013-02-27_20-46-01_849_zps9f62e7e2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back