Ambient Fermentation temperature?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afewcats

Junior
Reaction score
I have some fresh scupernongs, (muscadines?) that I picked from my vines. They are pretty ripe so I put them in the fridge waiting for some cooler weather to come around.

I ferment in my garage, and here in South Carolina it is still a bit hot. The temps in my garage are around the 80-84 mark in the afternoons. I think I should wait another week or two for the temps to cool down.

What is the warmest ambient temp I can ferment with without messing up the batch?

Can I freeze my grapes until it warms up without harming them for wine?

Thanks,
Marty

Freezing is much preferable to leaving them in the refrig. They will begin to mold pretty quick!!

Debbie

Another idea for those of you in warmer climates.... put your primary fermentor in a tub of ice water. It will help keep the temps around the primary cooler. Add ice as needed.

You could also make "ice bombs". Freeze milk jugs with water, sanitize the outside and add them to your fermentor.

Good Luck!

Debbie

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I will put them in the freezer until it cools down a little. I have plenty of room in the freezer and I want to make at least 4 - 6 gallon runs so I'll just keep pickin..

I freeze all my fruits first. It seems to help break down the fruit including the skins making it easier to crush the grapes or fruit by hand. Also I'm not rushed to make the batch. I have strawberries frozen and waiting and by this weeks end I should have grapes and star fruit.

I would say if you don't have a way to regulate the temperature - you would want the ambient temperature to be 70 - 75*. Fermentation will increase the must temperature a few degrees.

This is my seond year making wine. Last year I looked back on my records and I fermented in early October.

The weather will be cooling off normally mid September to 60 degree nights and 80 degree highs and that will work pretty good. My gargage is pretty well insulated but I have 2 deep freezers putting out some heat as well.

Maybe by next year I can build a small room that I can control the temps with.

Thanks for all the information,
marty

You could use some rigid foam insulation and make a boxed area that would be protected from the heat a bit. Slide the carboys in and shut 'er up!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back