Mosti Mondiale Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpaolini

Junior
Reaction score
I started the MM Amarone all juice kit in mid November. Following the instructions I racked it when it went below the recommended SG. Again following the instructions it should have been ready for Phase 2 and the second racking around 11/25 (when the SG was .996 or below). Unfortunately I was called out of state for a death in the family, returned to it yesterday (12/7) and find the SG stuck at just above .996, where it was on 11/26; why? Did it get too cool when I was gone (a good possibility- mid 60s for a week or more). An email on the contact page of MM has so far gone unanswered so I'm trying the same question here. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.Bob

If its below 1.000 then that is fine! Ged the sulfite in there to protect it asap.

It is going to be wonderful!!! This is my favorite red wine.
smiley4.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I racked, sulfated, liquigeled, siligeled (I know those are not verbs and not really words). Anyway, following the kit directions it calls for leaving it for 7-10 days, then racking and bottling. Two questions: isn't that too short a period of time? Then I looked at George's video again; just before bottling he added sorbate and said "whenever you add sorbate add sulfite". He drew a little wine, dissolved both in it and racked to his primary with spigot and bottled. MM's instructions don't call for the additional 1/4 tsp; should I add it?Actually, three questions for those of you that have made this Amarone kit: how long in bottle before you tried one?Thanks again for all the assistance.Bob

It's been awhile since these q's have gone unanswered, Bob. The Amarone will turn out better if you let it sit for awhile before bottling. I would suggest bottling in February or March.

As far as the extra sulfite, add the 1/4 tsp if you will be saving some of the bottles for more than a year. If you think you will finish drinking the batch in less than a year the extra sulfite isn't necessary.

Be sure and degas vigorously and with the wine temp in the mid-70's if you can. Gassy wine will be VERY disappointing.

I have made 3 amarone kits. I have found this is not a wine you want to drink early. It was ok at 1 yr.
Pretty good at a 1 1/2. Awesome at 2 yrs and after!!
smiley4.gif

Enjoy this wine. It is out of this world IMHO.
Kathie

Latest posts

Back