Other Amarone - Argentia Ridge - Costco - White Surface

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool77

Newbie and learning from this forum
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Amarone from Argenia Ridge sold by Costco. And wondering if the white surface showing at the top of the carboy is normal for a wine. See pictures.

Started 8/26 SG 1090
8/30 SG 1055
9/02 SG 1015
Rack to secondary fermentation 9/03 SG 1010

The white surface appears a week ago roughly.

Any comments.

Thank you all!

Yves

20130916_174039.jpg

20130916_174207.jpg

Well I have just racked and stabilized it today. I vacuumed the surface to remove the white stuff just in case. SG 0.994.

It smells ok and tasted it. It seems to be high alcool and high acidity but pretty new with testing young wine. first ever!

I did the same kit a few months ago but never had the residue you are showing... Maybe the currents included with the kit had a residue on them? If there are no off odors and you stabilized it/hit it with kmeta I imagine you should be ok. I am sure someone with more experience might have seen this before and would be able to tell you more...

Hello,

I have an Amarone from Argenia Ridge sold by Costco. And wondering if the white surface showing at the top of the carboy is normal for a wine. See pictures.

Started 8/26 SG 1090
8/30 SG 1055
9/02 SG 1015
Rack to secondary fermentation 9/03 SG 1010

The white surface appears a week ago roughly.

Any comments.

Thank you all!

Yves

I'm doing the same kit. Its in the secondary ferm stage which is almost complete. Abv is .994. it has the same residue as yours, this wine smells great so far.

Maybe from the currents or oak which was added in the primary ferm?

No more white stuff after 2 months. After reading pretty much it was too soon to be an infection.

Back