Airlock for primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raschi77

Junior
Reaction score
I'm on my first batch of winemaking. Everything I read so far did not say anything about air locking your primary fermentation.
Then I opened my kit and the instructions say: if your primary fermenter has an airlock you can insert it now.
...not very specific. That leaves me with the question: Do or Don't airlock your primary fermentation?

First off welcome to WMT. You do not have to snap down your lid or use the air lock during frimary fermentation. Many folks just lay the lid on top or put a towel over it to keep bugs out. With that said, whenever I did kits I always followed the instructions and snapped down the lid with an airlock. Something about hearing the and seeing the airlock doing it's thing gets me excited. Bottom line..either way is ok.

The kit makers are sort of vague on this one, I know. You notice it says, "If" you have an air lock? What if you don't have an air lock?

Like Dan said, you can go either way.

For years, people have been doing it both ways and have had good success. Personally, I don't ever air lock and snap the lid on a fermentation during primary. I lay the lid on top loosely and place a folded paper towel over the air lock hole. I do this because during primary, the yeast need oxygen to multiply properly. Maybe there is enough oxygen already in the must to carry it through to secondary... maybe not. I just don't take any chances.

If you are going to snap the lid down, be sure lots of air is stirred into the must before you snap the lid down, add air lock, and start fermentation.

My suggestion is a variation on what you've seen from others. Interestingly, air aids in wine making during the primary stage but can destroy wine via oxidation if added at the end. However, keeping the lid off during primary fermentation allows anything else - even bugs, pets, and children - to get into the wine. My suggestion is to keep the led on but not sealed tightly for the first day or so, then tightly seal the lid and add the airlock (filled properly with water or k-meta). By this time the yeast will have been busy at work converting sugar to alcohol and adding a by-product layer of CO2 on top. Once the CO2 is there keeping the lid off is of minimal value.

Tony P.

I snap and airlock. I like to see the bubles. The kit is very vague. If you look further, it may or may not suggest that you stir must daily. Something like hint or tip stir must daily (optional). I did it to add oxygen to the must.

Back