Aging temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackspanish777

Reaction score
Hey all. So I am in the process of bulk aging my Chenin blanc and my peach wine. Is it ok to store in an area that will keep it around 70? Or is this too cold?

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

During bulk aging you should keep it at cellar temp., around 55-60 if you can. Probably mor important is to keep it at a relative constant temp, so if all you can do is 70' just try not to have a lot of temp swings.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Well I just finished my first racking. Planning to add campden tablets and then drop the temperature. Thy are fermented dry. Just wanted to let them sit and let the flavors develop.

There ought to be plugin carboy cooler jackets.

Here in CT my winter 58-60F basement temperature steadily climbs to around a 70-72F summer temperature. The change is slow - meaning no quick temperature swings - which I've read is more of as concern than a steady high side temperature. Also, I think keeping the wine, whether bottled or in carboys, low to or sitting on the cement basement floor helps some.

Last edited:
I have a thermostat on a deep freeze that keeps the temperature steady. Right now my brother is fermenting a beer in it that needs the temperature at 70. I was going to add two of my wine carboys to it to get them out of the way in the house.

While my wine is in a carboy it sits in room temperature which varies with the seasons (63 -75) no fast temp swings.
Once its in the bottle it goes in my wine cellar with a cooling unit to keep it 55/56 degrees.

Latest posts

Back