Aging: Bottle vs. Bulk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSGuardsman

Reaction score
Assuming one will age six gallons of wine for 9 months to a year before being stripped of his stock by a thirsty flock of family and friends; and

Assuming cost of additional carboys is not a factor (I know...what planet am I living on to say that!); and

Assuming space being generally equal; which is better for aging mid-price range kits: bottle or carboy?

And if consensus is carboy, then how does one determine the proper amount of sulfite to add to the clarified and stabilized wine in carboy...and later at bottling?

It really doesn't make a lot of difference for aging. Many of us leave it in there a few months so we don't drink it too soon- and avoid the bottling for a while. The temps don't vary as widely in the larger vessels and you can take small samples more often without drinking it all up- just keep it topped up. It will take a bit of k-meta about every 3 months to keep the free S02 in the proper protective range. About 1/4 tsp per 3 months per carboy full (5-6 gallons) will do it. Keep the carboy and the airlock topped up and you can age it in there for around a year if you need to. Most will leave it in there about 3 months and then bottle it with one additional dose of k-meta.

I bulk age for the main reason of letting ALL the sediment fall out. Even if you have used a fining agent, almost all wines will continue to drop very fine sediment beyond that that even fining cant do. You can see this as a very thin layer on the bottom of lots of home wine makers home wines. Other then that its just not having the time to bottle it or when I do have the time no motivation to do so! Ok, laziness!!!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back