after stabilizing a month, the airlock still showing pressure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I stabilized a gallon of apple wine with campden tab and sorbate about a month ago but the airlock is indicating that there is pressure coming up from the carboy. I checked the SG and it is below 1000. The column of water in the airlock is all in the second half of the S- bend. What would be causing this? If the problem was because I have not adequately degassed wouldn't the airlock be burping CO2? - there has been no temperature change in the room and I have not moved the carboy...

If you didn't degas, then it may very well be CO2 being released. It could also be changes in barometric pressure, I know with the changing weather I've seen mine shift a little bit too in wines that were done fermenting/degassing months ago.

That is a very normal thing to have happen with those S shaped airlocks, even if the wine has been fully degassed. I don't have many of those (I like the 3 piece ones more) but I used one this Winter on an extra gallon jug of wine from fresh grapes. It was stabilized and fully degassed and the Kmeta in the airlock was always over (for the most part) on the other side. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

fiuuuu ....good to hear that, i was worry in my case,my strawberry wine is below than .995 and still bubbling with a S shape airlock

I have several carboys bulk aging with pressure on the carboy side. Mine I think, it barometric. It moves back and forth.

Latest posts

Back